Friday, October 21, 2005

Not Gonna Take It Anymore

I'm not going to tell you what to do.

If you are familiar with what is going on with H.R. 3058 the Treasury, Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development Bill, you will know that Senator Tom Colburn (R-OK) proposed an amendment to cut an Alaskan pork project that costs $220 million for a 5.9-mile bridge connecting Gravina Island (population 50) to the Alaskan mainland. The cost of the bridge alone would be enough to buy every island resident his own personal Lear jet. He wants the funds to be reallocated to repair the "Twin Spans" bridge in Louisiana that was damaged in Hurricane Katrina.

Yesterday this amendment was defeated in the Senate by a vote of 15 - 82. This should give you some idea of what your senators have decided their role is in Washington. Wasting tax dollars in their home states in order to get re-elected. With a vote like that, I can virtually guarantee that YOUR senator (unless you are from Louisiana) voted against squandering their already excessive coffer filled with YOUR money on projects that make them look good, instead of considering the more urgent need of other U.S. citizens. They decided to protect their near-unchecked ability to throw money at problems that do not need solving.

No one ever gets to tell me we don't pay enough taxes ever again.

Here's what I plan to do. I plan to contact my senators in Florida (one for whom I voted) and express my disgust and embarrassment at this vote. I would encourage you to examine the links below and consider doing the same. I would also encourage you, whether you lean left or right, to pass this information along and consider it the next time these clowns come up for re-election. I voted for Mel Martinez last year, but just because someone has an "R" behind his name doesn't make him a a good senator. I am disappointed with the people in our government on so many levels, even though they do some things very right, the things they do wrong are intolerable.

Just because the amendment died, doesn't mean Coburn can't try again. In the meantime, I'm beginning to think it's time to throw the bums out.

- Vote Record
- Senator Colburn's "Dear Collegue" letter.
- The text of the Coburn Amendment
- Congressional Record of debate of the Coburn Amendment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home