Friday, November 18, 2005

May I Direct Your Attention...

I don't really have much to say about Rep. John Murtha's (D-PA) demand for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq, other than, "What kind of stupid plan is that?" The rest of the blogosphere pretty much has it covered, but OxBlog's David Adesnik sums it up well in an appropriately titled article, "Who is John Murtha?":
The signal that our withdrawal will send is that terrorists can defeat a superpower. That is the signal we sent when we withdrew from Lebanon in 1983. That is the signal we sent when we withdrew from Somalia in 1993. This time, nothing will change.

The war we are currently fighting, that I am currently fighting, didn't start when we decided it was time to fight back.

Another good article in Weekly Standard by a fellow Minnesotan, Army 1LT Kate Thornton Buzicky, Don't Serve/Don't Tell, reminds me of similar experiences I had on the campus of the University of Minnesota. We only had drill once a week, meaning we only had to be in uniform once a week, but that one day really seemed to bring out the worst in our class mates. A friend of mine was called a "baby killer" to his face on his very first day in uniform freshman year. I found more intolerance in graduate school at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth while getting my graduate degree over the last two years. When discussing anecdotes of our management experience with respect to various topics, virtually every time I related an experience, a professor would say something to the effect of, "Yeah, but that's in the military." Among other things.

Hugh Hewitt has twelve words for the unfocused Congressional Republicans. I couldn't agree more.

Not much original thought right now, but share and enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Madame Counsellor bloody well said...

Interesting blog - I came across you by accident. My only thought is your graphic on the left hand side is jarring to the reader, especially when you have light grey text...

I agree with your sentiments on Iraq - America cannot withdraw now, it would be the wrong thing to do. When do you think it would be good to leave, though?

19 November, 2005 07:44  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Thanks for stopping by! I think that Iraq is going to be similar to our involvement in Korea, Germany and Japan, although with a much smaller presence. We don't patrol any of those countries anymore, eventually there will be no need in Iraq, either. I think we will eventually co-exist with the Iraqis as we do in these other countries where we have set up bases to aid in regional defense.

However an across the board pullout would be a tactical mistake, and likely impractical in the near future.

So I guess the answer would be "never," or at least, "not for a long time."

I've been experimenting with the design a bit. I was annoyed by the template because it looked just like every other blog that used the same template, but I'm still learning the finer points of CSS (I have a basic knowledge of HTML, but that's about it). Thanks for the critique, I'll keep it in mind.

19 November, 2005 08:40  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home