Monday, December 19, 2005

The Bubble

It took me two posts, but now I remember what really ticked me off this morning. I had just dropped off two boxes full of Christmas presents at the post office and Red and I were on the way to the credit union to cash a dividend check the other essentially-a-credit-union had sent us. In the lobby I saw the cover of a recent Newsweek.

OK, I don't get all "rah-rah" over President Bush, even though I agree with him more often than I don't. I did watch the speech last night, and thought it was good, but futile, because it doesn't matter how much he talks, he's mostly preaching to the converted. Cynical? Maybe. Anyway, Evan Thomas and Richard Wolffe of Newsweek insist that our President is sequestered away in his own little world. I agree; it's called "Washington D.C." The beltway is probably the biggest example of groupthink in America. The people that live and work there act most of the time as though they exist in a vacuum. I challenge you to name a politician who consistently has his finger on the pulse of his constituents and watches out for their best interests. Go on, give it a shot.

The President has the distinct disadvantage of having his actions constantly interpreted by die-hard liberals and other people who want to get invited to the good parties.

My immediate reaction, seeing the cover with the huge (though shared) byline of Evan Thomas, was that Mr. "Fifteen Points" Thomas is the one who lives in the bubble. Lo and behold, Brent Bozell beat me to the punch. It seems as though people like John "Don't-Let-The-Door-Hit-You-In-The-Ass-On-The-Way-Out" Murtha and others have had their feelings hurt by the Bush Adminstration, because they don't consult with them enough. In short, that is to be read: The Executive Branch has not yielded enough power to the Legislative.

Note, the really "good" Bush-bashing pieces at Newsweek seem to come largely from Thomas. So I ask again: Who lives in the bubble?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger TexasFred bloody well said...

There's a really good reason the POTUS doesn't confer with Murtha, it's NONE of his business...

Murtha spent enough years in the Corps that he should damn well be familiar with *Need to know*...

If not, he really IS an idiot...

And the actions of the POTUS are a few levels over Murtha's pay grade...

19 December, 2005 22:32  
Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

Great post. The media is definitely the one in the bubble. When there are polls on what the American people believe and what the media believe, they are vastly different. As you so aptly said, "Who lives in the bubble?"

20 December, 2005 01:09  
Blogger Cabe bloody well said...

I live in a bubble. The wireless internet bubble that I stole from my neighbors and now I got thrown in prison for 2 years....yeah...that bubble. The bubble known as don't drop the soap or you'll be payin' for it.

20 December, 2005 04:02  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

The left is in a bubble of denial. They'd like the world to work in the idealized way that they dream of, and it doesn't.

20 December, 2005 12:29  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home