Monday, December 19, 2005

Disorder

I don't know about pundits' claims that liberalism is a mental disease. I think that's just a way of dismissing the opinions of those who disagree with your own. However, I can see where some of the raving moonbat types might have some kind of social disorder. I prefer to think perhaps they're not getting enough fiber in their diet, but Dr. Helen cites an article in Clio Psych's Journal from 2003 that suggests your favorite loony leftist may have some faulty wiring (TFHT: James Taranto):
Research on the psychology of radical activists helps us to understand this mismatch between Chomsky's ideas and his personal style. In the 1970s, Stanley Rothman and Robert Lichter administered Thematic Apperception Tests to a large sample of "new left" radicals (Roots of Radicalism, 1982). They found that activists were characterized by weakened self-esteem, injured narcissism and paranoid tendencies. They were preoccupied with power and attracted to radical ideologies that offered clear and unambiguous answers to their questions. All of these traits can be found in the work of Chomsky and other anti-imperialist intellectuals.
The unwillingness to offer alternatives reveals a lack of self-confidence and self-esteem. If they offered their own policy ideas they would be vulnerable to criticism. They would run the risk that their ideas would fail, or would not seem persuasive to others. This is especially difficult for anti-capitalists after the fall of the Soviet Union. It has also been difficult in the war against terrorism because Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden are such unsympathetic figures. Psychologically, it is easier to blame America for not finding a solution than it is to put one's own ideas on the line.
This here is lazy blogging from a guy who spent all day Christmas/maternity/baby shopping, so do with that what you will. I liked the quotes and wanted to post them too. Believe it or not, I do have original thoughts I wanted to pixelate.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to rub the pregnant lady's back.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

12 19 05

Ha ha ha Good article. And congratulations on the upcoming baby:) I DO think that extremists have some mental issues; but everyone does. After a while we will all be labelled as sickos and havta take pills. YUCKKKKKK! Take Care and thx for visiting my blog. I forgot to ask if I can blogroll you. Or rather, notify you of my choice to blogroll you. Take Care:)

19 December, 2005 20:14  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Thanks, Mahndisa, you're very sweet! No need to ask, blogroll away. And feel free to stop by anytime... though I'm afraid my posting may become increasingly less frequent due to real life commitments on my part.

To be fair Dr. Helen also links an article discussing the psyches of conservatives, but I'm with you: I think extremists all have deep-seated emotional issues for which they should seek professional help.

19 December, 2005 20:20  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home