Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas!

Hope it's a happy one for you and yours! We haven't opened stockings, yet, though I let Red open one gift before she had to leave for work. It was a bundle of Christmas music I gave her - an assortment of country music (her favorite), swing/big band music (which I love), Mannhiem Steamroller and then just plain Faith Hill's latest album. So I think she liked that!

Her tradition is that gifts under the tree are opened on Christmas Eve, and since her mother is here, I figured we'll go with that. I'm easy. Here, you see my new favorite coffee mug that my sister Rachel (a Disney store employee!) gave me... T-I- double Grrrr! It says, "Boing" on the other side. My other favorite gift here is the new digital camera I used to take the pictures. My dad and stepmom gave it to us, after I more or less asked them not to. We had planned on buying a digital video camera or two after Christmas; one for me to use on the ship to send video back to Red and the baby, and the other for red to record all those magical moments I'm going to miss while on deployment this year. It was a very generous thing for my dad to do, I hate asking for expensive things, so we just told people what our plan was and asked for best Buy gift certificates if they wanted to contribute. My mom contributed a heck of a lot, and I'm floored by her gift as well.

Also, to my left on the couch, is my new electric shaver, which I am really going to need on the ship when I get there next year. To my right is my 2 1/2-year-old cat Logan, and the one on the right here is the one-year-old Rogue. Mom-in-law is still sleeping and Red's gone all day, so I'm going to watch Scrooged in my jammies while drinking coffee out of my Tigger mug and doing laundry.

My big gift to Red this year was a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed. My big plan was to have the bed delivered to my neighbor/landlord's apartment upstairs (who is good friends with us and agreed to help play Santa), then move it down to the landing outside our apartment door and surprise red with it when she opened the memory foam pillow that cam with it. Of course, what I plan and what actually happens ain't never necessarily been similar! Two days after I ordered the darn thing, Selct Comfortcalled the house on Red's day off while I was gone and wanted to confirm delivery, after I specifically told them to call my cell phone. Then the salesman to whom I spoke and explained my plan in detail sent a post card thanking me for the puchase, but thank goodness the SURPRISE HAD ALREADY BEEN RUINED and I couldn't get mad at him for ruining the surprise. Then when the guys delivered it, I found my plan wouldn't have worked anyway. What they don't tell you is that the box that the mattress rests upon comes in pieces about three feet long that must be assembled. It appeared that assembly involved a lot of stomping on the pieces while on my bed frame and jamming them together hard, regardless whether they're properly seated. In retrospect, I should've done a lot more angry shouting. There were bolts falling out of my bed frame, for crying out loud.

But the bed is really comfortable! I'll send a comment to the company about my negative experiences, but I love the product, so that almost makes up for it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

Guess it's the "year of ruined surprises".

I bought my daughters fiancee a plane ticket home for the holidays, and took an extra 2 days off myself.

My wife new about Daughters surprise, daughter knew of wifes. Well, two women, two secrets, might as well share, right :)

Merry Christmas, sorry Red is working.

25 December, 2005 16:40  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

12 26 05

Whoa cool Robosquirrel: I always wondered how well those bed worked. The husband and I were thinking of trying one out:) How sweet and thoughtful of you about Red awwwwwwww:) I hope you had a nice Christmas. And this is just a note to wish you and you family a Happy New Year.

BTW: I saw a comment you left on young Rebekah's blog. I appreciated your statement about "just because you do nothing wrong doesn't mean the government has a right to harass you.." or something to that effect;) Anyway, here was my comment to her:

12 26 05

Hey Rebekah: I wanted to say thx for wishing me well when I was ill and I hope you had a nice Christmas. Happy New Year to you and your brother. I wanted to blogroll you, but Patrick brought up some good points. I have been getting a lot of traffic on my blog and some have been real sickos. I want to know if it is okay to blogroll you or if your parents would think it is okay (out of respect;)

Next, everyone here except Robosquirrel has a similar perspective. I am more of a libertarian and think that the governments powers should be a bit weaker and am afraid that the writ of habeas corpus may soon be a thing of the past. However, let me point you to some critical articles by the Federalist Society on the Patriot Act. They are as conservative as they can be AND are a society of Constructionist LAWYERS!!! I think you may like their perspective, so here you are. No need for a debate because unless you view the topic from a couple of perspectives, you are suffering from BIASED CONSIDERATION OF EVIDENCE anyway. So here you are and take care:)
The Federalist Society on The Patriot Act provisions

The Federalist Society on Domestic Spying and the implications for civil liberties

My take on the impact of spying on civil liberties

Ultimately, by viewing other perspectives you can:
1. See how the belly of the beast works and get ammunition to quash their ridiculous arguments.
2. Actually broaden your mind and see things from another perspective.
This is how I flipped on the issue of abortion and am quite PRO LIFE!
I am curious what your take on the Federalist articles are; I think you may be intrigued:)

Monday, December 26, 2005

You know I figured I would bring this up with you. But it seems as many grass roots so called conservatives do not champion the thoughts of conservative think tanks. The Federalist Society CLEARLY is concerned with our liberties and one analyst gives a White paper on some provisions of the Patriot Act. So I am wondering how come the conservative bloggers I have come across don't cite the Federalist Society like they do Ann Coulter or Rush. OK I am rambling:)

26 December, 2005 08:11  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

12 26 05


The Federalist Society on The Patriot Act provisions

The Federalist Society on Domestic Spying and the implications for civil liberties

My take on spying and civil liberties

26 December, 2005 08:15  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Hey Mahndisa! Thanks for stopping by and dropping off those links, I couldn't have had a better present! I'll take a look at those and get back to you.

abfreedom: Just because I've got nothing to hide, doesn't mean I want the goverment poking its nose in my business. Everybody's got something they don't want to see on the front page of the New York Times. That said, the Patriot Act is for finding people that do have something to hide and has yet to infringe upon the average citizen's rights.

Shoprat: you're right, there is no way to codify it. The problem is that many people either support President Bush no matter what, or hate him with every fiber of their being. These people are shortsighted when it comes to the powers granted to certain officeholders, not realizing that someone else get those powers when their favorite officeholder leaves. And then someone who hasn't even been born yet 100 years from now. For example, it was never really clear if the Vice President should be an acting executive with no real power if the President suddenly leaves office, or if the Vice President becomes the President - not until John Tyler assumed all executive powers upon the death of William Henry Harrison.


I hit "post" before I was quite done, but I meant to say taht we now take presidential succession for granted and it was later included in a Constitutional amendment.

I don't try to be contrary, but I find it distrubing when people don't maintain a cautious distrust of government and elected officials. While I may agree with President Bush more often than not, there are plenty of issues on which I disagree with him. Also, echo chambers bother me; when everybody agrees with each other, my B.S. detector switches on and I go into semi-auto. What I look for is thoughtful discourse, which can make up for being uninformed! You can't have much of a debate with people who aren't willing to keep an open mind.

And now for something completely different! The bed is terrific, but keep an eye on the employees, they're tricky. I did not appreciate the "method" of assembly, if you can call it that, and should've intervened instead of watching them damage my personal belongings.

CP: I absolutely torture red with surprises on her birthday, Christmas and anniversaries, so I was really bummed when those doorknobs called the house. I shouldn't have even given them the number. I don't know about women keeping secrets, but if I want something to be secret, I never tell a soul!

Red's work schedule is a freakin' train wreck when it comes to holidays. She got to choose one holiday out of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day/Eve. We decided on Thanksgiving since we cooking dinner for my stepbrother and his friends. Luckily, she managed to finagle this entire week off!

26 December, 2005 09:29  
Blogger Gayle bloody well said...

Interesting post Robosquirrel. Nothing ever seems to work out exactly the way we plan it, does it?

I am also going to check out the links left by Mahndisa. Unusual name she has. I think it's quite beautiful!

So you are going to be deployed. If you posted about that I must have missed it. When do you have to leave and where are you going? Wherever it is, I pray for your safety. Merry Christmas!

26 December, 2005 11:21  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Well, thanks, Gayle! To the best of my knowledge I'll be deploying to the Caribbean for counter-drug interdiction, but not until I actually get done with my course in Newport and report to my ship. I've got a few months yet, but not much time to spend with my son after he's born! Things could always change. Thanks for the prayers.

Mahndisa's name is as beautful as her intellect, and her pictures indicate she's a bit of a looker, herself! Well worth your attention!

26 December, 2005 12:06  
Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

Christmas never goes exactly as planned, but I hope it was enjoyable anyway.

26 December, 2005 16:04  
Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

Christmas never goes exactly as planned, but I hope it was enjoyable anyway.

26 December, 2005 16:04  
Blogger Lone Pony bloody well said...

Matt,
Merry Christmas. (sorry a little late)Thanks for linking me. I checked you out too. I noted the "small L". I like it as well as so much more I noted. Linked you back. Looking forward to learning a lot from you.

27 December, 2005 11:13  
Blogger TexasFred bloody well said...

This advertisment is being brought to you by: ME :)

To all the Bloggers that read here, please take a look at The Texas Connection Blog Roll , we need members and YOU need exposure...

27 December, 2005 14:47  
Blogger fetching jen bloody well said...

you are a crackup

28 December, 2005 19:44  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home