Monday, December 12, 2005

Oh, What The Hell.

Well, since there seems to be no immunity from the dreaded meme, I suppose I've got five weird habits to post on the Intar-webs for anyone in the world to see...

But just to keep us focused, David Adesnik of OxBlog has a great point about Egypt taking part in the democratization of the Middle East. Google "Coptic Christians" and see what kind of horror you find.

Rosemead Times has a nice comment regarding public Christmas displays.

I know many of you are Michelle Malkin reader, but may not be James Lileks readers. I used to listen to his radio show in KSTP AM back in Minnesota (and for a good time, check out Garage Logic on KSTP weekdays from 3-6pm CST, you can listen online!) Lileks wrote a hilarious article for The American Enterprise: a 2005 Rollick.

And I'd like to direct your attention to Peter Porcupine, who appears to be a wacky British time-traveller, or perhaps a Scary-Go-Round fan.

1) I have bad hangnails and have a habit of chewing the dead skin off my fingertips. Sometimes in the middle of conversations.

2) I memorize obscure quotes and facts about movies and TV, often without ever having seen said movie or TV show. I especially love obscure cult movies and am sad that many of them aren't on DVD (like Delicatessen and Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!It makes it difficult to remember what I thought up on my own and what I heard or read somewhere sometimes... and I can't seem to do that with professional things, like missle ranges and engineering casualty control procedures. I am a cornucopia of useless knowledge.

3) I have written notes for my watch turnovers aboard ship in haiku. It's been a while, but I'll probably do it again.

4) I keep everything. I'm a complete pack rat. They say genius thrives on clutter, I guess that's my excuse. Some of my favorite things to hoard are toys (I have two plastic dinosaurs (a stegosaurus and a T-rex, an homage to my favorite Firefly character) on top of the computer, a lava lamp on the desk, a four-inch-tall Worf figure from Star Trek: The Next Generation and a six-inch "Buddy Christ" figure from the movie Dogma next to the lamp. I still have all my old trading cards from when I was a kid and my Superman comics. I also have a folder full of things I laminated so I could put them up and take them down when I move to a new office space, like funny comic strips and similar items.

5) Every Sunday at 2pm, I hash. I'm a Hash House Harrier; we're drinkers with a running problem. in a nutshell. There are over 1700 groups world wide (we think), so it's a great way to meet new people when you go places, as one might expect to do in, say... the Navy. This is typically an adult activity, as there is drinking and swearing and occassional lewdness, but some hashes are hashling friendly. For more info, go to The Fabulous Half-Mind Catalog

I'm sure there are more, but you only get five. Any bloggers "tagged" here should take more as a suggestion and a plug than anything else, don't feel like you have to do it: Miss Chatterbox (thanks for stopping by today, by the way! Wow!), Robert Miller (But I Can Hear You), Bloviating Zeppelin (I just like to say it... sounds like a name for an alternative band, maybe a ska band), Mahndisa and TexasFred.

If I'm not wiped out after doing "homework", there may be more later.

EDIT: I also thought you might like to know that vistor #569 was from Sri Lanka and was looking for cats eating cockroaches frothing at the mouth. I'm fresh out.

Also, I am a bonehead with comment moderation and have accidentally deleted some very nice people's posts accidentally. Therefore I have turned it off. First post I get about how to fix a bicycle, and it gets turned back on.

17 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

Haiku for a watch turnover. You naughty boy. Seeing you are in Newport can I assume you have a commission?

If you do we can say you don't know any better :)

FCC(ret), current instructor, Officer Training, CSCS Dahlgren.

12 December, 2005 22:51  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Well, since I'll be Chief Engineer on Halyburton, we won't cross paths this time around, but a bunch of my classmates have already been there and gone.

I was, however a CSO on an FFG, so I've been to your world... or are you one of those AEGIS guys?

But as far as working for a living? No, that's someone else's job. I supervise!

12 December, 2005 22:56  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

12 12 05

Hey and Comment moderation? What some trolls found ya and bothered you? Gosh trolls are so lame!

12 December, 2005 23:05  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

I have to let you know what a bonehead I am, I accidentally deleted Mahndisa's contribution, a horrible thing to do to such a wonderful person. My sincere apologies!

Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden has left a new comment on your post "Oh, What The Hell.":

12 12 05

Hey Robosquirrel: I didn't let you know that I have visited you on and off when I find your links. I don't always comment, but you are funny! Thx for visiting the blog and plugging mine:) Now, here is the question I have for you: What is scary about the Coptic Christians? They and the Armenians were among the first organized Christians. I might be missing something because I only read the first article on Google because I have researched them on and of throughout the years. Is there some sort of issue between them and terrorists? I wanna know!!! Good read and thx for the links! I JUST got home from work, so I am tired. But my contract ended today so no more commute for a while!

12 December, 2005 23:07  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

I've been misunderstood, there's nothign scary about Coptic Christians (except for the ones hiding under my bed...). What's horrifying is how they are treated, especially in Egypt, the bastion of African democracy. They're freely and openly persecuted and treated as second class citizens. It sounds like you're familiar with their plight.

12 December, 2005 23:11  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

Okay, so I saw your "tag" in the comments section of my newest post. You'll have to excuse me, I'm 1. very literal and 2. new to the Blogosphere.

A "tag" is a reference to one's website placed in the comment section of another? So that I could see you had mentioned me in a post?

I've asked this before in another area of the web but didn't get the answer: how do you create a "link" in a comment section without displaying the entire link, like "http://www.blah.com"?

13 December, 2005 08:27  
Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

I was just looking through your blog's code to find out about that random quotation thing.

Apparently, I hand coded a near identical JavaScript thingey a few months ago without even knowing it was already available for free.

So my question is, can I combine your quotes with mine? You could reciprocate, but I must warn you: my array has over 500 completely random slogans.

Share?

13 December, 2005 09:03  
Blogger Uranttilly bloody well said...

Ahhhh.. the comment approval is off and now the interlopers can arrive safely. (Pushes red button) BS Detector Activated!

We'll be keeping a weather eye peeled for propagandists.

Re: collecting. You should see my stash of plastic Dancing Raisins who've Heard It Through the Grapevine, or my Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring sometime.

Haiku? Yokozuna! (And Gesundheit, too)
Re: Yokozuna, the Man Show is back on Channel 354 Direct-TV at 10 PM. I love it because it really really whizzes off feministas and it's just damned funny. The tip of the day goes to any reader who correctly identifies what "yokozuna" means.

13 December, 2005 09:58  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

Ooops, never mind, I "got" the tag thing and there shall be an appropriate response shortly.

13 December, 2005 11:39  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Gyrobo: no problem, the code is freeware, because, Lord help me, I'm just not that bright. Rock on, I'll take a look at what you've got, glad you like it.

Count: Are these re-runs of the Man Show, or new epsiodes? I was wondering when I saw the ads on TV.

BZ: If you want to add a hyperlink in a slick manner, you can either select the text in your blog editor and use the "hyperlink" button; OR you can type: < a href="http://robosquirrel.blogspot.com" >People Covered In Fish< /a > (Without the spaces between the angle brackets, of course). The result is: People Covered In Fish

13 December, 2005 11:54  
Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

I did my 5 weird habits but didn't tag anyone else :-).

13 December, 2005 11:59  
Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

It's not the code that I want- it's the blubs.

I keep coming up with 'em, but I need more...

Check it out.

13 December, 2005 13:50  
Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

Anyway, I've merged your blurb array into my slogan-kabob. You now comprise approximately 20% of the queue.

It's a good thing.

13 December, 2005 14:06  
Blogger James Manning bloody well said...

Man, you have a great blog. I'll have to link you.

13 December, 2005 14:12  
Blogger Uranttilly bloody well said...

Reruns from the Kimmel/Corolla years.
They do 2 shows per night. Classic stuff. The manshow boy always cracks me up.

13 December, 2005 17:40  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Thanks for stopping by, James!

13 December, 2005 17:57  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

Yeah Robo, I'm one of those Aegis Guys, I teach SPY Radar and a few other things to CSO and PCO/PXO students.

14 December, 2005 05:18  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home