Friday, January 20, 2006

The Inmates Are Running The Asylum

A couple of good articles in the news recently regarding the antics of the anti-free market left, abolitionists of personal responsibility.

For now, here's article by Steven Malloy, author of JunkScience.com. The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood and several Massachusetts parents say that several snack foods marketed during kids programs are harmful to kids.

"Excuse me, hello? Federal government? Yes, I'd like you to control what everybody in America sees on television because I am a lazy parent. Sure, I'll hold."

Y'know what I miss? Saturday morning cartoons. I used to watch Saturday morning cartoons religiously until... gosh, until the age of 26 or 27, maybe. Oh, yeah, no kidding. I don't even bother anymore because they're all this garbage syndicated and overdubbed from Japan. They advertise card games, like Yu-Gi-Oh! (which looks like it could be harmful to kids) or Pokemon. Those old cartoons were trying to sell me stuff, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the Real Ghostbusters, Transformers and G.I. Joe - guess what? I wanted it all! Did I get it? Sometimes. Not very often
and not very much of it (compared to what I thought I wanted).

Chalk it up to good parenting, folks. My parents were masters of the art of saying "no". What I owe them, I can't ever pay back, because they made me who I am today. The best thing I can do is be the kind of parent they were to me. All this because they didn't let me have all the Transformers I wanted? Well, in part, sure.

So kids programming harming kids? Not at all - at least, not unless their parents let it harm them.

EDIT: Great minds think alike - Crazy Politico's Rantings: Be a Parent For God Sake!

1 Comments:

Blogger jgf bloody well said...

When we watched Saturday morning cartoons, there were junk food commercials on. We just knew we weren't going to get any of them. Oh, well, we lived...

22 January, 2006 15:58  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home