Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Pain

As you probably know, I'm a Navy officer. I haven't seen action in Iraq, and it's likely that I won't, but I know a couple of guys who've done tours over there. I don't know anyone who's died (as far as I know), but I empathize with the families of those who have. I saw this letter in the Washington Post A Life, Wasted: Let's Stop This War Before More Heroes Are Killed by Paul E. Schroeder and the headline annoyed me so much I didn't read it at the time.

Schroeder's son died in Iraq and he feels his son's life was wasted. Stopping the war, throwing up our hand and going home, is the best way to make sure that Augie Schroeder's life was wasted. If we "stop this war before more heroes are killed" the ones who died will indeed have died in vain. How badly do you want to be proven right, Mr. Schroeder?

I doubt his son felt that way; that's about all I have to say.

In fairness, that ridiculous headline may have been written by some stupid copywriter. I despise copywriters, because they are ignorant of the content of the articles they slap headlines over. They and editors lie to you more than journalists do; at least until the journalists learn to write what the editors want to read.

Crazy Politico and Lone Pony have posted about this, too, and suggest writing to the Washington Post to have the letter CP reposted published by the Post. If you feel it's the right thing to do, hop over to CP's post and read the letter - he's got all the applicable links.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

01 05 06

Hey Robosquirrel: Thx for pointing this out. I didn't realize that about the function of copywriters. I have worked in many industries, yet never have I worked in a publishing or journalistic environment (made up word methinks;). I think CP's post is great and appreciate how he presented the information. I think Ms. Sheehan is a grief pimp who dishonors her son's death, but like I said on CP's site, perhaps her grief has overwhelmed her better judgment. We should pray for her and all other families who have lost loved ones in the war, although she makes me test the whole love your neighbor and forgiveness ideals;) Have a nice day:)

05 January, 2006 07:07  
Blogger Lone Pony bloody well said...

How about a post on a Navy man's (yours) perspective about the honor associated with serving/possibly dying for his country? Thoughts, considerations, anyone that spoke to you about the dangers when you enlisted, etc.

05 January, 2006 07:40  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

I think a post like that would be rather short, but the thought intrigues me. I'll see about it when I get home from drinking from the firehose.

(I found the marble in the oatmeal!)

/obscure

05 January, 2006 11:35  
Blogger Patrick Joubert Conlon bloody well said...

Just playing catch up since I haven't visited in the past week. Actually I find it hard to make comments on your posts because it's a bit like reading my own thoughts except you're more "cerebral" than me. So, what can I say but yes, yes, yes and yes to all your latest posts which I have just read. Most enjoyable.

05 January, 2006 16:20  
Blogger arod bloody well said...

Great post... most people don't understand what it takes to serve in the military. Most people don't realize that our soldiers, airmen, seamen & marines are well aware of what they are getting into when they enlist. Sure there are a few surprises here and there, however, you're still aware of what it means to be a military member.

USAF
1992-1996

05 January, 2006 22:28  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

Thanks for the cross post, I appreciate it, Mr.Stokely appreciates it.

LP, I agree with Robo, it would be a short post for many of us. I think my October 23rd post kind of covered what you were looking for, but not exactly.

05 January, 2006 23:37  
Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

Politics is food... for the mind. Not the stomach. Food is the food for the stomach.

And electricity is the language of the soul...

Giga-byte! Giga-byte!

06 January, 2006 09:00  
Blogger fetching jen bloody well said...

What disturbs me most is the selfishness of the parents' comments. They belittle their childrens' decision to enter the military in the first place, then make the belittling worse by saying it was for nothing. I find their perspcetive as selfish as any parent can get.

How about honoring your child instead? Doesn't that sound more like a real parent?

06 January, 2006 16:33  
Blogger bigwhitehat bloody well said...

Totally unrelated:
Robo, thanks for what you do to protect my freedom.

06 January, 2006 16:34  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

As of this afternoon Mr. Stokely has received no response from the Post, either positive or negative.

In his words, "how tough is it to hit the reply button, or dial a 10 digit phone number?"

06 January, 2006 17:33  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Given my minimal effort on this post, I was surprise at the response here - really just a plug for Crazy P. But thanks all for your comment, I appreciate it.

LP: I think I have something in mind, for my own reasons, naturally. Crazy P is right, though. I think it's difficult to accept a lot of the praise people heap upon us; harder, maybe, than being spat at and called a "babykiller".

BWH: I don't know what to say. Thanks.

Gyrobo: Insightful, yet deranged as always. I'm not sure how you do it and even less sure how to respond most of the time. Keep up the weirdness, I love it!

06 January, 2006 18:36  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home