Monday, January 30, 2006

Shrill

So, I get back from a wonderful, joyous celebration with my best friend and his new wife in Minneapolis - my hometown... I don't realize how much i miss it until I go back. I was blessed with a complete lack of information all weekend and come home to read about Davos, Lincoln Chaffee (or as I like to call him: Worthless P.O.S. John Chaffee for Senate!), feeble filibusters, Ted Kennedy about to explode like Carter Wong in Big Trouble In Little China, and the last thing I feel like doing is pointing out how much this insanity vexes me. The world has gone completely nuts and all I want to do is go back to Cafe Wyrd (which no longer exists) on Lake Street, have a latte and play some Scrabble.

I'm in the middle of a good book, "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. I got about halfway through it this weekend on the planes. It's a quick read, but packed with information. I had lost my taste for Michael Crichton (I mean, have you read "Congo"? Ugh), but the more I heard about this book, the more I wanted to pick it up. My mom gave it to me a year ago and I haven't touched it because of my distaste for Crichton. The writing style is the same, but he has quite clearly undergone a paradigm shift, and you can read about it in his recent speeches. He's quite an amazing guy, so I'm shutting down and opening the book right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

I'm looking forward to a weekend of ignorate bliss coming up. I figure between the time I leave friday morning (at 0 early thirty) and get back Sunday (way to late), I'll have missed a lot, and probably not missed missing it.

31 January, 2006 07:26  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

I purchased State of Fear and it sits. I haven't read it yet but it's on my list. Perhaps I'll move it ahead a few books. Doesn't it have something to do with so-called Global Warming?

Otherwise, I'm like you as well, but only insofar as where I work contrasted with where I live. I work in the Sacratomaoto Valley in Fornicalia, but I live 73+ miles away in the Sierra Nevada Mountains at the snow line. When the end of the week rolls around, I CAN'T WAIT to leave this stupid place and escape. My weekends are like a vacation every week. That's my escape valve to a week at work. . .

31 January, 2006 08:54  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

BZ: Yes, it's about the hype and hysteria campaign by multiple groups to sell global warming to the unwashed masses. One such groups is attempting to cause simultaneous catastrophic weather events to "prove" global warmning theory. As always, Crichton tweaks existing science just a bit to obtain realistic science fiction. However, he shoots holes in real life "proof" of global warming with extensive, documented, peer-reviewed research. I think it's an interesting look at the disingenuous PR machine environmentalism has become.

Crichton writes his books these days so that they're movie-ready, and this one is no exception. But I wonder who in Hollywood would be brave enough to make this into a film and if anybody would be willing to act in it. I see Martin Sheen as one character (obviously modeled after Sheen), but would he take the part? Not a chance.

I only get to go back to Minneapolis once a year, tops. Everytime I go back, I'm rubbernecking all over the place to see what has changed. A lot of my old haunts are gone and it saddens me, but it's become quite a booming metropolis even while maintaining the friendly, small-town qualities I've always liked about it. There's bad neighborhoods, sure, and the politics leave something to be desired, but it still a wonderful place.

31 January, 2006 09:17  
Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

Michael Chriton is an inhuman monster. At least, that's the feeling I got when I associated him with the antagonists in his novels.

31 January, 2006 10:52  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

Now that you've described it, it's going to the top of my list. Thank you.

01 February, 2006 18:49  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home