Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Waste of Skin

There's so much one could say about Justice Alito's confirmation to the Supreme Court, but I think the big story is Rhode Island hack, the Honorable Senator Lincoln Chaffee.

Y'know, Lincoln Chaffee's office is right down the street from where I live, in the historic Newport Post Office. I'd march right down there and tell him what I think of him, but (1) it's not like he's ever there and (2) I don't vote in Rhode Island. Thank goodness.

Conservative Rhode Islanders, rare though they may be, are incensed at Linc Chaffee. For about two hours today and four hours yesterday (I think), local talk show host Dan Yorke fielded calls and e-mails from furious people. I really hope that this will wake up the local electorate, but color me cynical. There just aren't enough people who care, in my opinion. I see Steve Laffey possibly pulling of an upset in the primary - he's good at that grass roots kind of thing - but I don't think it's likely. Unfortunately, the other option would be voting Democrat to get him out of office, and what then? I've all but given up hope that New Englanders will ever act in their own self-interest.

Maybe someone will start a tongue-in-cheek "Vote For John Chaffee" campaign...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home