Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Environmental Hysteria: Moral Vanity

My senators are starting to piss me off. The Honorable Senator Mel Martinez in particular, since I voted for him in Aught Four and his staffers were handing out Terry Schaivo talking points almost immediately afterward. I guess he and I just got off on the wrong foot.

Now I find him pandering to the environmental lobby. Oh sure, they claim to care about the state's military constituency and tourism, and that's just super, but where most states really fail - I see it here in Rhode Island every day - is encouraging economic development without attempting to shake down the businesses for as much as they can legally extort.

Plan by Florida's senators aims to provide state with permanent protection from oil, gas rigs. Or: Florida's senators plan to protect Florida from an increased tax base and more jobs.

I do not know the amount of tax revenue an offshore drilling operation would generate, but I do know that it is a significant investment in capital to do so. It is also an asset-intensive industry, therefore, every bit of oppressive government regulation counts.

If you don't know, and chances are that you don't, the Law of the Sea provides for a nation's territorial waters and other zones and nautical type atuff. Twelve nautical miles from the baseline (the low-water line along the coast as marked on large-scale charts officially recognized by the coastal State) is a nation's territorial waters - the extent of a nation's sovereignty. An Exclusive Economic Zone is established at 200 nautical miles from the baseline where sovereign rights for the purpose of exploring and exploiting, conserving and managing the natural resources, whether living or non-living, of the waters superjacent to the seabed and of the seabed and its subsoil, and with regard to other activities for the economic exploitation and exploration of the zone, such as the production of energy from the water, currents and winds".

Senators Martinez and Nelson propose to make permanent a moratorium on drilling in Floirda's waters:
Specifically, the bipartisan bill would create a permanent no-drilling zone at least 260 miles offshore in much of the eastern Gulf. And off Pensacola and Florida’s East Coast, the no drilling zone would extend out to 150 miles offshore. It also would remove existing leases close to Florida’s coastline by granting royalty forgiveness on active leases in the western and central Gulf.
My senators want to forbid drilling in our our own EEZ off of Tampa and permit it in just a sliver of our own EEZ on the rest of the Gulf coast! For what? So manatees can hump? You know what the horizon is at a height of eye of six feet (the height an above average man)? THREE NAUTICAL MILES in perfect condidtions. So oil rigs aren't going to spoil the natural beauty of all that water. Sen. Nelson says the Navy does vital exercises in that area. I'm not familiar with the operating areas over there, since the water's too shallow for much operating. Minesweeping, maybe? Could you point it out to me on a chart, Sen. Nelson? I can't figure it out, despite seven years in the navy, 18 months of which I spent stationed in Jacksonville. I'm coming back in June, by the way; just, y'know, FYI.

In other absurd environmental news, road salt may be sickening Alaska pigeons. So let's see... cost/benefit analysis. Save lives by melting ice on the roads, or try to save rats with wings. You decide.

Previous environmental hysteria:
Environmental Hysteria: When Scientists Attack
It's Not Easy Being Green
Unnatural Selection
This Is All Your Fault
And I Still Can't Get My Feet Warm
Jumping GOP On A Pogo Stick!!
Unquestioning Belief In Works Of Fiction

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

This is ridiculous. When are people going to have some common sense??

06 February, 2006 12:52  
Blogger Gayle bloody well said...

Absolutely ridiculous. My question is "when are people going to have some sense, "common" or otherwise! Sheesh!

Very informative post. I always seem to learn something when I visit you! :)

07 February, 2006 11:08  
Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

Common Sense is a precious commodity. Let's not waste it.

07 February, 2006 19:15  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Common sense is like water in the desert. Get as much as possible and use it when you have it.

Unfortunately, when I sent this post to Sen. Nelson, I misaddressed at to Sen Martinez. They will likely respond (even if I screwed up Nelson's letter), and I'm anxious to hear their excuse (even though their excuse has already been made public).

08 February, 2006 11:59  
Blogger Rebekah bloody well said...

I heard about that, too. This coming after Martinez called for shutting down Gitmo. I think we just might have gotten a RINO.

09 February, 2006 17:39  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home