Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Hello, Stranger

You may be asking yourself, "Where the dickens is Robosquirrel?"

Good news! I've been here, more or less, the whole time. I don't know about you, but about two weeks ago I was growing increasingly bored with the "Story of the Week" (SOTW), whatever it happened to be. So I stepped away from the keyboard for a bit, concentrated on my professional obligations, flew to Ft. Myers, FL, and back (and there, became addicted to Su|Do|Ku).

You may or may not have noticed I don't write much about the SOTW. Everybodyy else is doing it and I think the gamut of opinions covers mine in whole or in part. Once in a while, I feel like ranting about it because, well, it VEXES me. But, take this week's SOTW: Dubai company wants to buy British company that controls *gasp* port operations in American ports! Oh Noes!!!!11! Give me a break.

1) The United Arab Emirates is the most westernized part of the Middle East. I've been there, the shopping is terrific!
2) The UAE is a U.S. ally in the war on terror.
3) Changing the name on the company letterhead does not give terrorists free access to US ports. Lack of ability to police the mind-boggling volume of stuff flowing in and out of US ports gives terrorists free access to US ports. Assuming they're not lost in the mail when they FedEx themselves here.

I haven't read anyone else's comments on the matter for lack of time, but what more is there to say? The UAE government can't control every crackpot who wants to kill Americans and Jews anymore than we can convince a moonbat that their politcal activism/ranting/lunacy does more harm than good, more often than not.

The whole "Vice President shot his hunting buddy thing" was really the last straw. I'd like to note here, that it is the fact that these items are not deserving of the screaming headlines, idle speculation and idiotic bloviating that they get and THAT is what pisses me off. Give the story its due and then move on to something important.

I do, as always, have four or five rants I want to pixelate, especially about what I did on my vacation! Have to see if time allows, as I am dealing with car issues, an increasingly pregnant wife, and increasingly urgent and important Surface Warfare matters. Killing people and breaking things trumps blogging. Not that I haven't enjoyed your comments while I've let the blog stagnate.

Back to keeping the world safe for democracy!

More:
Crazy Politico's Rantings: Arabophia Gone Wild
The QandO Blog: The Politics of Ports
Peace On That: Righties: Time to Justify Your Thug
Bloviating Zeppelin: Bush Digs In His Boot Heels On $6.8 Billion Port Deal

9 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

Glad to see you back. Understand about breaking things and killing people, the training schedule at the Department Head school I teach in is nothing less than brutal right now.

Thanks for the link back.

22 February, 2006 17:36  
Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

I feel the same way. If we are all commenting on and talking about the same stories, we become little more than an echo chamber.

22 February, 2006 20:29  
Blogger James Manning bloody well said...

I'm going to default to the 'bush is a spawn of the devil' philosophy and not trust him on this. but i think it's a win win for bush and congress. and i think the company will back down in the end and a new deal with a different company will be reached.

23 February, 2006 18:15  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

I have to be honest, I lack even the interest to speculate on what might occur. I'm too busy trying to remember this stuff.

23 February, 2006 22:35  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

James, that will be a loss for us, not a win.

When we start deciding who gets contracts based on area of origin we might as well fold the flags, shut off the lights and call America closed.

I'd suggest you find the transcript of yesterday's Senate Armed Services Hearing and read it. The facts in the case may not change your mind about who spawned Bush, but they may enlighten you on this not in the dark deal, that has been public since last October.

24 February, 2006 05:54  
Blogger James Manning bloody well said...

Robo,

I did reply to your comment on my blog. Why are you studying Amphibious Warfare? Well, I know you're in the Navy, but is there a specific reason for this?

Crazy,

I see the politics in it and I'm sure there is plenty under the radar that we're not understanding. But, I think it's just bad politics for Bush - and I'm happy for it. The faster he becomes a lame duck the happier I'll be. Do you really think Republicans are going to run on a platform of national security and approve this deal. Especially when most neo-cons are against it. No, a corporate shell game will take place and life will get back to normal by next week.

24 February, 2006 12:04  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Yep, I saw it James, thanks.

Call me naive, but I tend to think of this stuff in terms of Occam's Razor. Simple explanations should be preferred to more complicated ones. They make more sense and are less likely to make one look like a fool in retrospect. But you and i differ on that point, obviously.

As to the amphibious warfare, I'm currently in the Department Head Course at the Surface Warfare Officers School and we just did Expeditionary Warfare week (same thing pretty much). I had a test on it this morning. We're now in the Intermediate phase of training, and practicing multiple warfare areas simultaneously (Undersea Warfare and Surface Warfare this afternoon). So short story long: part of professional training before I head out to my ship in June.

24 February, 2006 18:02  
Blogger Rebekah bloody well said...

Well, I can see where you and CP are coming from, but still, from a practical perspective, it would be much easier for terrorists to infiltrate a Middle Eastern company, regardless of how hostile to terror the country may be. Still, Hillary's against it, so...

26 February, 2006 00:40  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

First of all: good to see you back! And I can understand your aversion to the SOTW -- but sometimes I can't resist either.

Second: thanks for the referential link!

Third: I wholeheartedly concur with you on "numquam ponenda est pluritas sine necessitate."

Hence my take on the ports thing.

BZ

27 February, 2006 23:49  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home