Thursday, February 02, 2006

Life, the Universe and Everything

Well, I just had a huge rant that was deleted when my computer froze up. while I'm working on getting ticked off about it again, chew on this article I found in the Wall Street Journal: It's wrong to say science excludes God, experts say. What would we do without experts? If you've been reading for a while, you know that I don't think science excludes the possibility of a God, but that, as the article says, God is a dead end. You can't just look at a phenomenon, decide you can't reconcile it with your beliefs or that you can't understand it, and say "God did it" and call that sound scientific reasoning. That's a limitation of science - it can't take the supernatural into account. That's also the reason I don't think we should be teaching unproven, psuedo-scientific theories like global warming and intelligent design in classrooms.

Douglas Adams had different ideas about the relationship between science and God. According to the Hitchhiker's Guide, the Babel fish was put forth as a fideist example for the non-existence of God:
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. Q.E.D."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.


Previous:
Perpetuity
It Would take a Scientist To Explain
Unquestioning Belief In Works Of Fiction

2 Comments:

Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

Sadly, the fifth book of the Hitchhiker "Trilogy" Mostly Harmless ends in total and abject despair.

02 February, 2006 22:31  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

There's nothing wrong with total abject despair as long as it's well-written total abject despair. I don't think it was as funny as the others, but it tied some loose ends together. Sadly it's been years since I read the trilogy, I think I'm going to bring it with me on deployment and plow through it again.

03 February, 2006 10:15  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home