Wednesday, February 01, 2006

OK, I Give Up. It's "Nucular".

I wasn't going to watch the State of the Union last night, but they hooked me just before it started. Ah well. Good speech, for the most part. He's still saying "nuclear" in Texan, or whatever. I know how Texans love it when people have a little good natured fun with them, and I'm telling you: I have no intention of messing with you, Texas!

The President on the other hand, is apparently quite willing to allow Mexico to continue to mess with you, Texas.
Keeping America competitive requires an immigration system that upholds our laws, reflects our values, and serves the interests of our economy. Our Nation needs orderly and secure borders. To meet this goal, we must have stronger immigration enforcement and border protection. And we must have a rational, humane guest worker program that rejects amnesty … allows temporary jobs for people who seek them legally … and reduces smuggling and crime at the border.
I'm with Rebekah, Little Miss Chatterbox and others, though, I think the border policy is folly.

I find it interesting the President wants to enforce immigration laws while simultaneously making it easier for people to enter and stay in the country. Why is America responsible for providing Mexicans with jobs? I think the "orderly and secure" comments are lip service, at best, considering past performance and current developments. Oh, one of those links is regarding the U.S.-Canada tunnel, but is there a difference, really? Aren't all our borders essentially open gateways for anyone who feels like a little hike through the desert or the woods?

Rebekah commented in a previous post:
The guest worker programs would be fine if all immigrants were honest, hardworking, law-abiding people. But drug-runners, terrorists and MS-13 are reasons the programs aren't safe.
The problem seems to be; and I can't fathom that no one in Washington has made this connection; that the Administration doesn't associate immigration policy and terrorism. Someone please tell me I'm wrong, because I can't believe that anyone smart enough to get elected or appointed to public office would not be able to make that particular leap in logic. The Department of Homeland Security doesn't think it's a problem that armed paramilitary groups smuggling drugs are getting into confrontations with local law enforcement!

For all the good things the President spoke about in the speech, (and I'm pretty much onboard with the foreign policy) that was the one thing that ruined it for me. Maybe this is part of his insistence that America not recede into the false comfort of isolationism yet again, but when has he ever been assaulted by illegals running across his land and demanding handouts at knife point, camping out on his land and destroying his property? Being from a border state, you'd think he'd understand the need to be tough with Mexico, since Mexico doesn't care. The U.S. is their relief valve, their "out" for having to take care of their own problems and deal with their own failed policies.

I'm not an isolationist, I'm a realist. The reality is that Americans living along our borders need to be defended. If the government refuses to defend them, they will be forced to defend themselves.

The Democrat response, as always, was retarded. Seriously, can these guys get it together? The GOP needs a worthy adversary. If I was a Democrat I would be ashamed to show my face these days.

And, not to change the subject or anything, but boy is Mulholland Dr. long! I'm still not sure what the heck is happening, but I'm hoping it's all pulled together at the end. I'm hoping to finish it before "Lost" comes on. Damn idiot box.

EDIT: Nope, the movie just gets extremely weird. OK, I think, but weird. I'm getting a little tired of watching movies about things that don't make any sense at all which happen in Los Angeles after car accidents.

Previous:
What Border Problem?
Invasion

4 Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony bloody well said...

Grouchy! No, j/k. I was excited to hear the word nucular...LOL

I enjoyed the speech. It was the first one I've watched where my husband wasn't in the room yelling!

I agree with you on the borders. I'm shocked we haven't heard more of an uproar on this. Thanks for keepin it real Matt.

01 February, 2006 22:40  
Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

Thanks for the link.

You make some good points. On the day I got to meet Ashcroft I also got to sit in on a small group discussion. It was like a 30 minute session where people who had paid extra got to talk to Ashcroft and my U.S. rep. and ask questions. The very first question was why isn't the President tougher on immigration? Ashcroft admitted (although I think technically it was supposed to be off the record) that because of W being from Texas he has a certain sympathy for immigrants. It seems that he has a sympathy for the immigrant situation which is understandable. But as you quoted Rebekah these aren't all honest, hard-working people so we have to have a more secure border situation.

My liberal sister-in-law married a guy who came here illegally from Pakistan. Guess how he got in? Through the Canadian border. He got deported and my sister-in-law is obviously upset. But I felt good knowing that we are having some semblance of protection by kicking illegal Middle Easterners out of the country.

01 February, 2006 23:37  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

The speech was disappointing on the domestic front pretty much all around. Alternative fuels? What happened to drilling in Alaska? Social Security... well, he got the Dems to embarrass themselves on that one. Form a commission, oooh. *waggles fingers*

Domestically, I think this administration has really left something to be desired. Cutting some federal programs will be a good thing (read: "pork"), and the tax cuts are fantastic, but those need to be made permanent while the Republican's still control Congress. The liberals despise the President and will have no qualms about taking their anger out on the American people while their base cheers them on.

Thanks for stopping by, Beth and LMC.

02 February, 2006 12:12  
Blogger Rebekah bloody well said...

I'm with you. I liked the speech very much as far as foriegn policy, but the immigration and pushing for (Noooo) more government commisions was NOT good.

Thanks for the link. :)

02 February, 2006 14:32  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home