Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Environmental Hysteria: Alarm!

Grr. Can't blog. Studying. Big Tactical Action Officer exam on Thursday, another "pre-test" for Prospective Engineering Officer school on Tuesday. Flying to Florida over the weekend to find a place for my family to live in June. Anyway, if you wonder about these long absences from the Blogosphere, let it be known, I still enjoy reading your blogs, but have significatly reduced time to do it.

Nontheless, rather than let yet another current event become less current before I say something, I thought I'd take a quick break to let you know that the Inuit are alarmed by signs of global warming. I had originally linked to the article on MSNBC, when it was leading the headlines on the 22nd, but MSNBC seems to have depublished the article. I was naturally able to find it on hysterical end-of-the-world foretelling website Peak Oil.

They are the indigenous people of this bountiful land, I suppose they'd know if something's wrong with it, wouldn't they? I mean, they're all connected to mother earth and sprits and such - just like Hollywood's been telling me all my life. If the Inuit are alarmed, I guess we all ought to be, eh?

Thirty miles from the Arctic Circle, hunter Noah Metuq feels the Arctic changing. Its frozen grip is loosening; the people and animals who depend on its icy reign are experiencing a historic reshaping of their world.
Of course, this article was published in the Spring, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt. So, perhaps this was an exceptionally warm winter. Is it indicative of larger trend? Perhaps. Is there any science to back that up? Meh, not really. If the climate is actually changing and not just the weather, is there any evidence that humans are responsible? No, not really. It's like when the defense on Law and Order tries to use experimental, non-tested theories to explain away its client's actions and the prosecution just shuts 'em down by asking if there's actually any evidence to support the theory. It gets repetitive, but it works every time.

I would like to have the time to really deluge you with links showing that there is still no solid science to back up these claims. But trying to pull the reader's heartstrings by protraying the Inuit as the stereotypical Noble Savage whose life has been irrovocably altered by the horrors wrought upon him by the evil White Devils doesn't prove anything.

Speaking of the end of the world, I put a countdown in the sidebar for John Kerry's prediction that New York City and Boston would be underwater in 30 years. A commenter called me out on this and pointed me toward the transcript of Kerry's discussion with Don Imus and told me that nowhere had he mentioned global warming:
KERRY: “ What I'm saying is that in a lot of choices you have to make in public life, you make them on a basis on a sort of cautionary principal. I mean, that's true, for instance, of global warming. I can't say to a certainty exactly what's going to happen, and the models differ about what's going to happen. But I can say to an absolute certainty, and I just got a NASA briefing on this the other day, that if things stay exactly as they are today, absent some unpredictable change in what's going on, within the next 30 years, the Arctic ice sheet is gone, not maybe, not if, the Arctic ice sheet is gone. And already you have the Greenland ice sheet beginning to melt. The Greenland ice sheet, unlike the Arctic ice sheet, is on rock. It's out of the water. If that melts, you have a level of sea increase that wipes out Boston Harbor and New York Harbor. I mean, It's just stunning what we're looking at. And yet, there's no -- Europe, other countries are responding. The United States remains oblivious. Or at least the administration remains oblivious.“
So if the models differ, and nobody's certain, and he can't say to a certainty what's going to happen, then why is he so damn certain? I'd like to get a hold of this NASA thing, but if they don't want us to use the stupid things they say to point out how stupid they are, then they should stop saying stupid things.

Previous:
Environmental Hysteria: Ocean-front Property in Worcester

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

But... then you must be in league with the Armada Automata! They seek to make the Earth uninhabitable by humans by gradually melting the ice caps.

I must report this directly to Robot Parliament.

There is a disturbance in the Force.

28 March, 2006 15:22  
Blogger Rebekah bloody well said...

Of course it doesn't prove anything. Reminds me of the heart-tugging interviews of Iraqis who say "Life was better under Saddam." Nice, but doesn't mean anything.

28 March, 2006 16:27  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

My cat told me all the squirrels in my area will be bald by Summer.

BZ

28 March, 2006 17:04  
Blogger James Manning bloody well said...

But here's the thing, global warming is taking place. To what extent humans are the cause is up for debate - but when I look out over the landscape and see a yellow sky for miles (los angeles has some pretty dirty air) then I would have to say that I'm sure we are having some impact on the climate.

Second point - as I wade through the yellow air I wonder, why would anyone have a problem with me wanting cleaner air? Let's say global warming is just the way nature is and eventually we'll go the way of the dinosaur - in the meantime, doesn't it make sense to want to emit as few toxic chemicals into the air as possible?

So it seems to me that a good environmental policy is a good idea regardless of its impact on global warming. How to do that? I'll just leave that answer to politicians and scientist. Although I concede that profit margins and campaign contributions will carry more weight.

28 March, 2006 19:03  
Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

Environmental Hysteria is a great way to describe it. Remember when Ted Danson predicted some ridiculous natural catastrophe that was supposed to have already happened by now? Reminds me of the mormons giving exact dates for the return of Christ. Psycho!!

29 March, 2006 00:17  
Blogger The Best [ Chance ] bloody well said...

Global warming has been going on for thousands of years. Just look at what happened to the dinosaurs, global warming moves in cycles of time. jus like slavery has been going on for thousands of years and people act like it is something new created by this so called superior race. Man these things have been around for thousands of years, and various sexual habits also have been around for thousands of years. King solomon said it the best there is nothing new under the sun.


Sigh!



By Chance

29 March, 2006 04:15  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

I find this funny...." if things stay exactly as they are today, absent some unpredictable change in what's going on, within the next 30 years"

About 27 years ago, when I was a young teenager in school our science teacher, sister of renowed artic explorer, told us that if things stayed the same for 30 more years we'd be in another ice age.

Guess things don't stay the same as long as folks think.

29 March, 2006 05:49  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

Here's something odd: I completely agree with everything that Chance said. Peace on THAT!

BZ

03 April, 2006 17:39  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home