Thursday, March 02, 2006

Hypocracy

Let me tell you something. Few things make me madder than propagandizing children. But my idea of this seems to different from most of the intelligent people I know. I believe in teaching children to be inquisitive and skeptical and not take everything at face value. By virtue of being an adult, you can convince a child of practically anything.

So, the lovely and brilliant Dr. Helen (Instawife) calls "Why Mommy is a Democrat" propaganda and I agree, because how could it not be with pages like these?

On the other hand, intelligent conservatives lauded the childrens' book "Help Mom! There are Liberals Under My Bed!". Now, although I do agree with the ideas presented in that particular book, I wouldn't buy it. I was inundated with the typical "Democrats help poor people and Republicans help rich people" crap in the 80s and 90s when I was a kid. I won't be a party to indoctrinating my children into a political party. I don't belong to one, because I will not follow blindly or "pull the lever" for a party because I agree with their position on a single issue.

Yesterday, Rush Limbaugh said independents are moderates and closet liberals; people incapable of deciding one way or another on an issue. Boy did that piss me off. Not one position I take on any issue is a "moderate" position. If I feel anything more than indifferent about an issue, I can tell you exactly what I believe. There is no halfway, I either have an opinion or I don't.

So, yeah, I swing conservative most of the time, liberal pretty much never and against both major parties a good deal of the time. I'm for free thought and rational objectivism, against ignorance and suspicious of government. Trying to suck kids into a political faction while they're young is the kind of thing Hamas does, not the America I want to live in.

Disgusting. It's a good thing there are teachers in the world like Becky who teach kids the critical thinking skills they are going to need in order to keep from becoming a mindless automaton.

8 Comments:

Blogger James Manning bloody well said...

I'm with you on this. My daughter talks about praying for our President. It's something they teach in pre-school. I just gnash my teeth and leave it alone. I figure, if she wants to know what I think of politics, she'll ask and I'll just give her my opinion and leave it alone.

The only indoctrination going on in my house is making Chicago Bear fans out of the little tikes. It seems I've already lost her to the Lakers - I slipped when her mother started buying purple stuff - it won't happen again.

02 March, 2006 12:04  
Blogger jgf bloody well said...

I agree on some points. I think it is most important to teach children to think.

02 March, 2006 13:44  
Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

Critical thinking is important and I'm so glad Becky is such an awesome teacher in the public school system.

I teach my kids to think and to back up their beliefs with facts but I don't hide my political beliefs from them. They know what I believe and why.

03 March, 2006 02:30  
Blogger Lone Pony bloody well said...

I don't mind at all when I hear teachers giving their opinions, even if they are liberal, but teachers "teach" this stuff. I had a professor that would put his religious opinions on tests, and if you disagreed, your grade went down. That happens more than we want to admit in our public schools. Thanks for the compliment Matt. hugs

03 March, 2006 06:17  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

LMC, of course, I know you didn't think I was implying that not all teacher teach critical thinking. I remember it used to be something I was graded on, but not something I did a lot of.

Lone Pony: of course, you know I have to take your word for it, but emails we've exchanged lead me to believe you're the type of teacher I would love to have teaching my kids. My wife and I will most likely use the public schools and it's good to know there are people like you (and LMC) out there trying to make a difference instead of indoctrinating.

03 March, 2006 08:18  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

James: I felt the same way when my ex tried to make my daughter a Packers fan. Turns out she could care less about sports and just wants to play with princesses.

03 March, 2006 08:19  
Blogger NEO, SOC bloody well said...

The problem here is that the people who are trying to teach our what to think are not teaching them how! So, another generation of ignoms (just made that word) are on the way. Praise God for lp & lmc and the many others out there doing it the right way. I pray things will be cleaned up soon because if it doesn't, America will be morally and intellectually bankrupt!

03 March, 2006 10:01  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Well put, Neo!

But change is gradual. It took public education a long time to get to the sorry state it's in today, it's going to a long time to fix it. Time, patience and perseverence. I can't honestly say I think that patience and perseverence are qualities that lie within most of our population. Time, on the other hand, is something of which there is an abundance.

03 March, 2006 15:47  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home