Sunday, March 05, 2006

Is it just me...

... or is the message of the Oscars more or less Hollywood begging us to pay $10 a ticket to sit in a theater and watch the garbage they're cranking out? That's literally what they're doing, asserting their relavance, while rewarding mediocrity. I don't know if it's stuipid or gutsy. Probably the former.

Seriously. The only movies I even remember watching this year are Serenity, The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy and Aeon Flux, all of which I enjoyed and were completely ignored by the Academy. I think that pretty much says it all.

Still, I enjoyed Jon Stewart more or less, even the painful political jokes; was embarrassed for Lauren Bacall; and didn't see a single movie that was nominated for anything, except Corpse Bride (which I saw today). Right up until The L Word came on. I'll read about the rest sometime tomorrow; my interest has waned.

EDIT: Bonus - Ann Coulter's Oscar predictions. Also, I remember now, I saw Crash. I've been trying hard to forget that I want that 113 minutes of my life back. At least it didn't rain frogs.

5 Comments:

Blogger James Manning bloody well said...

I gave my input on the Oscars. I think Copote should have won for best movie. I didn't there was much political speak. But they were trying to convince us to see these movies on the big screen.

Pernally, I think Hollywood is putting out good movies, it's just that the big movies suck. But Copote, Walk the Line, Chronicles of Narnia, North Country and Corpse Bride were all good movies. But they are overshadowed by Fantastic Four, War of the Worlds and other "summer blockbusters" so you get the idea that every movie sucks but that's just not the case.

Crash was an ok movie but the ending was a let down. The characters were too thin for me to consider it for best movie. It was good, but I'm not buying the best movie nod.

06 March, 2006 14:29  
Blogger The Taker of Gist bloody well said...

I would gladly contribut to the conversation, citizen, if I knew anything about that which the conversation revolves around. Jon Stewart? Oscars? What are these things? Bah! They are of no use to a distinguished Gistologist such as myself.

06 March, 2006 15:03  
Blogger Gayle bloody well said...

I haven't seen "Crash" so can't comment on it, but I'm really glad "Brokeback Mountain" didn't win. I haven't seen it either, just don't approve of the theme. I don't watch the Oscars because I think it's just a case of Hollywood applauding itself. If the public nominated the best movies that would be different. I'd pay attention then.

I don't pay for theatre tickets. I rent from Netflix and have a 52" screen, so I watch what I want when I want. The best movie I've seen all year was a documentary: "March of the Penguins." You will be absolutely amazed by this movie if you haven't seen it. Human parents could learn a lot about parenting from penguins. :)

06 March, 2006 18:45  
Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

The Oscars are little more than a mutual admiration society. Input from the outside is neither asked for nor wanted. In a sane world, it wouldn't even make the news.

06 March, 2006 18:54  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Gayle, interestingly, I received March of the Penguins from Netflix today! I've had in the queue for a while, though.

You know, I saw more of these movie than I thought I had, but they were all pretty forgettable. Crash made me realize what an alternate universe L.A. really is, if it's anything like it's represented in the movie. It's certainly nothing like the world I live in.

I also have a distaste for "message" movies in which the goal is for me to feel guilty about who I am. I am clearly not Crash's target audience. If a movie has a message, I prefer it to be subtle; I don't want to feel like I've been hit over the head with it.

06 March, 2006 21:20  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home