Tuesday, March 07, 2006

R.I.P., Kirby Puckett

I just heard on the news this morning that Kirby Puckett died of the stroke he had yesterday.

Damn. He wasn't very old, but was already kind of sick. I don't know what to say.

I have fond memories of watching him play for the Minnesota Twins when I was a kid. In 1987, we strung extension cords from the house all the way to the fire pit in the backyard and set up the TV so we could watch Game 3 of the world series in the backyard during our annual bonfire.

My sister met him recently and got him to autograph something for my grandmother, the biggest Twins fan on earth. I gave her a call to make sure she's doing OK; she's a little down, but hearing from me really cheered her up.

Then it gets me wondering how much the baseball cards I've been carrying around all these years are worth. I'm sure glad I don't get rid of things when Red tells me to.

A better epitaph.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

03 07 06

Yeah, I am broken up about his death too. I was an A's fan back then, but had mad respect for KB. And that still stands. I hope his family is alright.

07 March, 2006 23:41  
Blogger Patrick Joubert Conlon bloody well said...

Beats Barry Bonds anyday.

08 March, 2006 01:37  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home