Saturday, March 18, 2006

Run For Your Life!

I've never watched Doctor Who, which is interesting, because I've been told more than once that it's exactly the sort of thing I'd enjoy. I guess last year, the BBC restarted the series, but you won't see that kind of programming in the U.S. until long after the British have gotten sick of it. Look at Red Dwarf and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'd love to see Red Dwarf on SciFi.

But I digress. I was about to turn off the TV last night after Red had fallen asleep and I had become so thoroughly distract I couldn't concentrate on my book, when I noticed the SciFi was showing the series premiere of the new Doctor Who. Starring, of all people, Christopher Eccleston (who I've seen in exactly three movies, one of which I didn't know it was him and two of which I enjoyed*) and British pop star Billie Piper, one of whose albums I bought in Hong Kong because I liked her cover of "The Tide is High" by Blondie.

Ahem.

So Eccleston was only signed to play the good (9th) Doctor for the first season and the second season has had the 10th Doctor played by David Tennant.

I think it's safe to say that I crave more; I think I'll be heading to the Netflix queue presently. Just what I needed, another TV show to get addicted to. I don't watch much TV, one reason is because once I start finding things I like, that is all I'll ever do. I think I can deal with watching Doctor Who on SciFi on Fridays as well as Lost on Wednesdays. I've managed to kick the Smallville, Medium and Las Vegas habits (thanks goodness those shows all began to suck, or sucked from the start and it took me a while to notice). Firefly, Buffy and Angel have been cancelled... It's probably a good thing all the good shows get cancelled, of I'd never do anything else except for watch them!

Idiot box, indeed.

*Gone in 60 Seconds was pretty lame.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

03 18 06

Hey, did you know Dr. Who has been on for like forty years? My favorite Dr. was Tom Baker, a curly headed eccentric who always wore an overcoat and a multicolored scarf. I thought last night's show was good; but the gal needed to get her roots touched up. I don't know what is up with that. Oh well.

18 March, 2006 13:40  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Interestingly, yes, I did know that. It used to be on PBS once in a while when I was a kid and I knew people who loved the show, but I never got into it myself.

I like this new one; I may try watching some of the old episodes, too.

18 March, 2006 14:41  
Blogger Patrick Joubert Conlon bloody well said...

Well, I missed the first one but I'll keep an eye out for the next. I first saw Dr Who in the 60s when I was living in England. In those days it was aimed at preteens and teens and came on at 4pm.

19 March, 2006 11:34  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home