Tuesday, March 21, 2006

What is Religion For?

So, I was perusing the news today and I foung Trey Park and Matt Stone's statement about their recent battle with Scientology:
"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the "South Park" creators said in a statement Friday in Daily Variety. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies... You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"
I love it! They've just gone and told Scientologists that they don't take them as seriously as they take themselves while pointing out how ludicrous their cult is. Funny how the press calls this a raging battle. I suppose the sparks are flying in Hollywood. At best it sounds like some goofy new-age thing, but Scientologists are so desperate to be considered a legitimate religion, they refuse to publicly discuss their core beliefs. My guess is that it's because it would make them sound crazy.

I think what's really funny was that Issac Hayes quit over the Scientology episode, citing Parker and Stone's religious intolerance, but it was just fine when they were making fun of Jews, Christians, Muslims and not his religion. When folks of one religion disparage other people for their beliefs, I always think of people in glass houses throwing stones at one another.

Personally, I think South Park is pretty funny, but has jumped the shark. I haven't watched it in a long time, but I like how they handle issues that are considered "sensitive" in the most insensitive possible way, and yet can get an open-minded person to see their point.

So, to go the long way around, I know there are a few religious folks who stop by here once in a while, and I'd like to know what you (or anyone else) thinks religion is for? What constitutes a "real" religion? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I'm genuinely curious to hear what people think. Does it serve a purpose other than to tell us who to be mad at?

10 Comments:

Blogger NEO, SOC bloody well said...

I think this issue was quite hillarious too. If you make fun of one religion, do it for all. And they better do it about muslims too.

To answer your question, my religion of Christianity is my guide through life. It answers every question I have about morality, epistemology, anthropology, physics, metaphysics and all the other "ologies". The Bible instructs me on how to love my enemies by the example Jesus set forth. It shows me that I am not perfect and I should never have a haughty mentality and to love my neighbor. It shows me much. Now, do I always follow the commandments of the Bible? No, but I try. I have tried Buddhis, Hinduism, Shintoism, Daoism, I Ching, eastern religions and some Neo-Pagan religions and Christianity is the ONLY one that has offered the best answer and presentation of God, man and creation. Is it exclusive? Most definitely! But, the best thing about it is that no one is forced to join, it is everyone's choice.

21 March, 2006 10:38  
Blogger James Manning bloody well said...

Religion serves two purposes. The first, as Neo state, getting an understanding God, our relationship with Him and how we are to conduct ourselves as we go through this thing called life.

The other is to control the masses and brainwash people to the point where they dislodge themselves from reality to the point where they become sheep.

21 March, 2006 11:18  
Blogger Patrick Joubert Conlon bloody well said...

Like Neo-soc, I've tried nearly all the religions but I ended up deciding that I didn't like any of them. However, I still believe that Jesus' message of love and forgiveness is the foundation stone of western civilization.

21 March, 2006 11:20  
Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

I consider a religion to be anything that explains the existence of the universe and man's place in it. Yes, I do consider Atheism a religion and it should be treated as one.

21 March, 2006 20:39  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

I just find it funny that L. Ron Hubbard was a second rate (at best) sci-fi writer, but can get millions to embrace his version of religion.

I've often thought that Scientology was actually his last stab at a novel.

21 March, 2006 21:17  
Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

I couldn't even read his stuff; he seemed to pile on words just to get his word count up.

21 March, 2006 21:19  
Blogger His Majesty bloody well said...

As the founder of the First Church of Tax Exempt Status, I feel unqualified to pass judgment on other religions. Other to declare them heretical, of course.

21 March, 2006 22:14  
Blogger Rebekah bloody well said...

Well, my question is, what exactly did they expect? It's South Park for cryin' out loud. Their point is to insult as many people as possible!

I think the point is, Hollywood suffers from TMWTS(Take Myself Waaaay Too Seriously) and needs to grow up.

22 March, 2006 13:50  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

Trey and Matt's handling of the situation has been remarkably adult, something I do not normally associate with South Park, though I watched it oncet or twicet.

They managed to simultaneously defuse the situation and poleax it mid-thorax with their comments semi-obscurum. Therefore providing the issue with the solemn attention it so surely deserves.

BZ

23 March, 2006 18:22  
Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

South Park is an equal opportunity religion basher so for Hayes to all of a sudden be upset over them being offensive towards religion is laughable. I absolutely loved their response.

Patrick did a great post on exposing how scary of a cult Scientology really is. I knew it was a little wacky but its definitely a cult.

25 March, 2006 02:10  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home