Sunday, April 09, 2006

USS NEW YORK (LPD-21)

(TFHT: The Officers' Club)

"NEW YORK Apr 3, 2006 (AP)— With a year to go before it even touches the water, the Navy's amphibious assault ship USS New York has already made history twice. It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center, and it survived Hurricane Katrina."
I thought this audience would appreciate this, if you haven't heard about it already. I've known about it for a while, of course. Two of my classmates were slated to be department heads in NEW YORK before the hurricanes delayed construction.

What I wouldn't give to be a plankowner of that gorgeous warship. Since construction was delayed, it looks like I've got half a chance now.
Later ships in the class will include USS ARLINGTON, the location of the Pentagon, also struck by a hijacked jetliner on Sept. 11, and USS SOMERSET, named for the Pennsylvania county where United Flight 93 crashed after its passengers fought off hijackers apparently planning to attack another Washington target.
Never ever forget.

7 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

Very cool!! Thanks for posting on this. I briefly heard it mentioned before. I think Crazy posted on it too.

09 April, 2006 14:30  
Blogger jgf bloody well said...

I read about it at LMC's a bit back. It is a fitting tribute.

09 April, 2006 16:13  
Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

It is good that the victims, via the sites,of the attacks are being so honored. It beats naming a warship the Jimmy Carter.

09 April, 2006 20:27  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Ahem.

At least they won't be naming a carrier after him... Unfortunately, I think Clinton is next in line following USS GEORGE H. W. BUSH (CVN-77). We can always hope CVX gets off the ground and they stop building Nimitz-class carriers, I suppose.

09 April, 2006 20:33  
Blogger NEO, SOC bloody well said...

excellent post! Hopefully this ship will bomb IRAN!!!! LOL!!!!!

10 April, 2006 11:38  
Blogger Gayle bloody well said...

I agree with Neo's entire comment. Wouldn't that be poetic justice?

It's a great tribute to the victims of the twin towers to make this ship used from steal of that horrible and tragic day.

I did hear about this before. I know without a doubt it was on someone else's blog. I'm absolutely positive that it wasn't on the MSM. Shame on them!

Blessings.

10 April, 2006 23:53  
Blogger Nunzia bloody well said...

i actually didnt know that.. thanks for sharing that!

11 April, 2006 16:07  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home