Sunday, April 16, 2006

Your Tax Dollars at Work

Hi there! I'm just about recovered from birthday nonsense, thanks for the well-wishes, all.

You know I had this weird idea about live-blogging my son's birth... I think that probably wouldn't go over too well with Red, certainly not toward the end; though I might get away with it during the down time. I've got to have the computer with anyway, since all the info for my Prospective Engineer Officer course is on CD-ROM, and I'll have to keep up while on "paternity leave"

I've had my head out of the blogosphere a bit the past couple of weeks (distracted by engineering, baby-birthing and house-buying, and various and sundry other things); mainly because I haven't found a whole lot of things that are going on vexing enough to post about while my attention is elsewhere.

However, something caught my attention today, because I wrote about this fellow once already.

Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-CA) is part of the Problem. What he cares most about is his power to spend taxpayer's hard-earned and legally stolen cash on just about anything he damn well pleases. The Wall Street Journal and Boddington at RedState single out Rep. Lewis, and rightly so, but there's plenty of blame to go around. Most conservatives seem to be dissatisfied that their duly elected representatives are behaving like... well, Democrats. I know how it feels, I voted for Republican Mel Martinez and he's been a massive disappointment from the get-go. I'm on his mailing list, but I can't read it most of the time because he's just finding new ways to piss me off.

Anyway, good articles, check 'em out, I'm interested to hear your comments and whether you think the new Democrat Party Platform plank about ending the "Republican Culture of Corruption" has any merit. I don't think it has anything to do with criminal behavior, as Democrats intend their snappy new marketing slogan, but that it has more to do with incumbency and power than to which party the politician belongs. I apologize for the incomplete thought's/analysis, but Red reminds me that I have to get back to studying (test on Tuesday, after all). This engineering course is making warrant officers with 20 years in the Navy feel stupid, so I've got my work cut out for me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Tony bloody well said...

I don't really buy the Democratic Party plank, but they need to return to control for a term, just to stop the fiscal bleeding. (I'm assuming President Bush will finally use his veto with a Democratic Congress.)

What we really need, though, is for people to stop going to the polls with the notion that Congressmen are bad, EXCEPT MINE. Incumbents don't face legitimate pressure. It's partly due to gerrymandering, but voters unwilling to throw them out of office by voting for the "wrong" party is huge. Voters need to realize that wanting Congress to only stop spending money in other districts isn't sufficient. Punish them for authorizing spending on endeavors that are not federal in nature.

If nothing else, gridlock is useful. Voters need to embrace it and vote accordingly.

17 April, 2006 10:19  
Blogger Rebekah bloody well said...

I agree with you. Many, many Republicans seem to be acting like Democrats lately.
I think they got a little passive after the '04 elections, which, face it, were a dream come true for the Republicans, what with Dean and Kerry and all the rest.

Now they need to face reality before the midterms or face losing lots of the power they have.

17 April, 2006 19:38  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

The new plank has little, if any value. The public has just as low an overall rating for democrats in Congress as the GOP, so it won't gain much traction.

Instead of name calling maybe they should attempt actual ideas.

18 April, 2006 06:42  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator bloody well said...

On on.

18 April, 2006 14:12  
Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

I will now seize your newest random slogans in the name of congressional oversight.

18 April, 2006 22:00  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home