Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Dirty

Busy changing diapers and all my Fleet Week pictures are awful.

That said, Fleet Week was a blast; or would've been if I'd been there all week with six full summer white uniforms. After one night bouncing between Times Square, Chelsea and Greenwich Village, my whites were completely trashed (and so was I). It's probably a good thing we only had the one night.

I was visiting the USS Klakring for, ahem, "training", but one thing led to another and I ended up on liberty. She was moored outboard USS Mitze, a new destroyer, and across the pier from USS San Antonio, the flagship of the new LPDs. It wasUSS San Antonio (LPD 17) pretty neat seeing those brand new ships, I wish I had had time for a tour. Red was a bit apprehensive about me going and even more so upon hearing that the liberty uniform would be whites - no civilian attire allowed. She had good reason to be. I smiled and humored the flirty ladies with the other three married guys I was hanging out with and we all made it out with our integrity intact, just in case you were wondering. I did have a difficult time trying to make some people understand that nobody goes home with the bartender.

We had just gotten off the train in Times Square when immediately a couple of ladies asked to have their pictures taken with me and my three buddies. And as soon as they posed, suddenly about three other families and groups of women got the same idea. That kind of thing went on all day! Just as we were about to duck into the Hard Rock Cafe, we were stopped by a cute stringer from the New York Times and briefly interviewed. Even though I rolled out the, "Hey, I have a journalism degree, too!" mojo, we couldn't convince her to show us to a good place to have lunch with her during the interview. Nice girl though, no idea where the article would be. Come to think of it, I didn't bother to check her credentials. Bad PAO!

At Hard Rock, the manager was all over one of my friends and sitting and flirting with us and gave us a modest discount on our bill. She also pointed out a bunch of great bars and restaurants to visit in the Village. And she gave us her phone number, you know, in case we got lost or needed "anything at all".

We visited some places I enjoyed though, like Cafe Wha?, the Peculier Pub, the Slaughtered Lamb Pub among the places I remember. Also on our way to dinner at what turned out to be a really nice French restaurant (the outdoor seating sold us) some guy walked up to us, handed one of my buddies $200 and told him to buy us a round of drinks on him. We tried half-heartedly to return it, but he scurried away. Dude, if you ever this someday, thanks.

It was terrific, heartening experience. I should've done it years ago. It's so weird walking around a city having random strangers want to be really nice to you. I shudder to think what would've happened had I been single; there were definitely some girls on the prowl.

I also would like to point out a good editorial in the Wall Street Journal today which eloquently sums up my thoughts on Al Gore and all this global warming ballyhoo:

Here's a test. What if science showed conclusively that global warming is produced by natural forces, with all the same theorized ill effects for humanity, but that human action could forestall natural change? Or what if man-made warming were real, but offsetting the arrival of a natural ice age? Would Mr. Gore tell us meekly to submit to whatever nature metes out because it's "natural"?

Mr. Gore's next movie should be about the urge to propitiate the gods with sacrifices, a ritual whose appeal did not go out with the Aztecs. Yes, Al, let us give billions to alternative energy bureaucrats and emissions regulators. This we do as a tribute to your shamanism, although it will make little appreciable difference to the accumulation of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Share and enjoy!

8 Comments:

Blogger shoprat bloody well said...

It looks like the military men are heros even in uber-liberal New York. That is good.

01 June, 2006 22:53  
Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

Fleet week sounds awesome, glad you had a good time.

The Al Gore movie and all the rave reviews about it just makes me roll my eyes.

02 June, 2006 21:53  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

06 08 06

Well Matthew:
Apparently you have your hands busy! I hope all is well with you:)

09 June, 2006 03:58  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

Matt, never done fleet week in NY, but did have the pleasure of a few of them in San Francisco. Oddly, a very liberal city that treated us wonderfully.

I'll be in Boston for a few weeks and figure I'll have to hit NYC one of the weekends, just because.

10 June, 2006 06:44  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

All I can say is God Bless You for keeping your uniform and for, in its most base, defending our way of life as a Naval Officer.

I know of the sacrifices you and your family make. You keep me and mine safe. That needs to be said.

I am only a law enforcement officer in Fornicalia. You take the defense of our nation to another level entirely.

God Bless and take care, Matt.

BZ

P.S.
EVERYONE should read your blog!!

11 June, 2006 23:21  
Blogger Gayle bloody well said...

Indeed. Everyone should. Of course the libs wouldn't like it at all.

Thanks for what you do, RS.

I'm beginning to think NY may not be as liberal as we think. Is it even remotely possible that it only seems that way because we only hear about the liberals? After all, they do all the sqawking.

Their are many conservatives in California too, but you would never now that.

Also... kudos to you for resisting temptation with all those women so willing and all. Many married men wouldn't have done that. Good for you, and God bless! :)

12 June, 2006 14:25  
Blogger Rebekah bloody well said...

I think some dudes might read this and be tempted to break out the ol' Whites for their next city trip. :D

Seriously, it's great to know so many Americans really do appreciate soldiers and what they do.

13 June, 2006 18:29  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

BZ: I'd have to actually blog for people to read it, but thanks.

Thanks for everyone's comments, I appreciate it!

15 June, 2006 14:31  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home