Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mail Call

Red finally sent me some pictures of Pirate Jack. It really made my day. I'm missing the heck out of them, but I'll get to see them in September and hearing from her periodically makes me smile.

Good day today but tired. Fought a couple of battle scenarios in multiple warfare areas on my watch this afternoon and spent the morning with the department trying to catch up on work. It's tough getting it all done when I'm standing watches in CIC twice a day or so. Luckily, I have amazing people working for me that can make things happen, but I still feel like I'm neglecting them a bit.

The engineers are busting hump trying to get our spaces ready for just about everybody to inspect them. They started with me, then I have an entire month of zone inspections with the Captain (one division a week for four weeks), another inspection in the fall and the really big inspection that happens every five years that eats COs and Chief Engineers for breakfast: INSURV.

The Board of Inspection and Survey was established by CONGRESS in 1868 under Admiral David Glasgow Farragut (who just had another ship named after him) to ensure that the ships of the United States Navy are properly equipped for prompt, reliable, sustained mission readiness at sea. They have been striking fear into the hearts of decent sailors ever since.

It's a leadership issue, and my department has that in spades: they've been starved for it and are eager to get the material status of the ship up to where we want it, so we can show it off.

Anyway, I'm not sweating it because comparing the way things were when I reported to the way things are right now, I see significant progress. I'm really proud of the work they're doing. When it comes right down to it, they take pride in their work and want to succeed just as much I do. It's easy to get worried about these things. My biggest worry is living up to the responsibility and honor of being their leader.

And lastly to really coax out your closet geek, Star Trek Inspirational Posters, courtesy of Ewin.

Not very profound lately, sorry. Have to get up at 0100 for watch.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger jgf bloody well said...

Adorable pic! And the Star Trek posters are hilarious.

08 August, 2006 23:17  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

INSURV...eewwwewwwewwweee good luck with it. It's definitely one of many things I don't miss in retirement.

Stay safe, and remember, Engineering Department is just a really big "A-Gang" for combat systems :)

10 August, 2006 05:09  
Blogger L. Riofrio bloody well said...

Hello Robo:
My friend Mahndisa just turned me on to your blog. I am a former Naval Reservist and very much believe in what you are doing. Today's news about terror plots makes it very clear what we are fighting for. BZ!

10 August, 2006 11:35  
Blogger pappy bloody well said...

Thanks for the Star Trek links.
Being retired Air Force my sympathies with you on your inspection. And thanks for linking the westeren alliance

10 August, 2006 14:00  
Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

Tigger's changed over the years, man. He used to be really orange. Now... I don't know anymore, man.

10 August, 2006 19:17  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Wow, I thought I had reset my email, but I haven't receiving comments!

Crazy P, I'll show you a support system...
*punches out the generators*

riofrio: thanks for stopping by. I'll admit, I haven't been hearing much about the terror plots. I get hundreds of intel messages and I've been reading exactly none, so the news isn't getting to me much. I know there are Things Afoot, but haven't been as engrossed in the details as I like to be, due to focusing my attention on work.

Pappy, thanks for stopping by! Maybe one of these days I'll be able to load my blogroll on the ship.

More soon, when I get more than a few minutes!

12 August, 2006 12:25  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home