Saturday, September 23, 2006

Baited Breath

Taking a quick break from enjoying my family time to express my annoyance with the dead-pool media throwing up on the front pages today that the number of U.S. citizens that have honorably given their lives fighting to end islamofascism now equals that of the number of people killed during the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

Y'know, I've kind of fallen off the world lately. I'd nearly forgotten that every numerical milestone statistic screams across tickers on cable television news and big bold headlines on every major newspaper.
WASHINGTON - Now the death toll is 9/11 times two.

U.S. military deaths from Iraq and Afghanistan now surpass those of the most devastating terrorist attack in America’s history, the trigger for what came next.

The latest milestone for a country at war came Friday without commemoration. It came without the precision of knowing who was the 2,974th to die in conflict. The terrorist attacks killed 2,973 victims in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

Reminded me of this:
Spottswoode: From what I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.N.C.E has gathered, it would be 9/11 times 100.
Gary Johnston: 9/11 times a hundred? Jesus, that's...
Spottswoode: Yes, 91,100.
Chris: Basically, all the worst parts of the bible.
And this:
Kim Jong Il: It will be 911 times 2356.
Chris: My God, that's... I don't even know what that is!
Kim Jong Il: Nobody does!

At least somebody's counting the number of people we've saved in Iraq and the number of terrorist attacks. Is anybody counting dead terrorists?

Nothing more profound than that, I'm afraid - Jack's awake from his nap. When I asked him about this whole body count thing, he promptly spit up all over himself.

So there you go.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

Robo: First and foremost: God bless you and your family for the sacrifices you've made on behalf of me and my fellow Americans. I did similar things a long time ago but in times not nearly as tempestuous as now.

And yes, I knew that some day this comparison would come. Those killed on 9-11 vs. those killed BY THE EVIL BUSH ADMINISTRATION in compensation for that day.

I prefer to look at it this way: while Spain had their issues, and Britain had their own issues, in the meantime the country likely the EASIEST to hit because of its base open nature has been the country NOT hit since 9-11.

The United States.

Something tells me: we must be doing SOMETHING right.

I couldn't care less if you can't tell me about it; I only want me and mine SAFE.

Who knows how many attacks we've stemmed or intercepted?

In terms of WMDs, the assholes only have to win ONCE; in response we have to win EACH and EVERY TIME.

BZ

30 September, 2006 22:43  
Blogger L. Riofrio bloody well said...

Please, someone note that the media counts accidental deaths in their total. Since we both have worn Naval uniform, we both know that on an average peacetime day 1-2 service members die from various accidents. Over 3.5 years we can do the math. Don't let the media get you down, we are winning.

19 October, 2006 19:31  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home