Monday, December 18, 2006

I Am Time 2006 Person of the Year

No kidding.

I may be a bit behind the curve on this; mostly because I don't read Time, and I haven't listened to the radio or read the news that much over the last half year (what's all this about the Democrats controlling Congress?) However, I am pleased to inform those few loyal remaining People Covered in Fish reader that I (and all of you) am the 2006 Person of the Year.

This, of course, is my second time winning this distinct honor, and I'd like to thank all the little people I stepped on to make this possible. Excuse me while I update my resume. Here's a list of the notable people I share the honor with.

All sarcasm aside, it's an interesting choice, if really lazy. Everybody wins!

It's not all of you, really. Well, it is all of you, and every goofball with a MySpace account, etc. In my twelve years on the Internet I've left a pretty big footprint (much to my chagrin). But my grandmother has had little impact on the information age. She's afraid of the Internet and won't buy a computer. Good for her, I say. Somebody's got to hold out.

Sick day today, Rogue won't stop sitting on me and giving me head butts. Let me tell you about sick days in the military. You report to work as usual and then go to sick call. At sick call the corpsman tells you

1) Yes, you're sick, now get back to work.
2) Yes, you're sick, you get a 24-hour SIQ (sick in quarters) and then you need to come back in every day to make you're still sick until you're not sick any more.

I took the Robosquirrel option in which I attempt to go to the naval hospital closest to my house at which point they tell me to go to sick call at Branch Medical where they tell me to drive an hour back to Mayport to go to sick call there. And then I go home because I'm the boss, it's Christmas stand down, and I've already got all the work covered for the day. Though my option was more of hassle, I prefer the end result.

For the rare person who would see fit to cast aspersions upon the quality of my service, let me just say that I am working while at home today, by phone and email. This has also happened to me before: I had mononucleosis once as a division officer abotu four years ago and the same thing happened. I was forced to drive to work while half-conscious just to prove I was still sick and be allowed to drive back home. I get this sick once a year, tops. The rest of the time I just power through. Those few times I don't, I've proven to be a danger to myself and other and nearly killed myself in two separate incidents of driving while ill.

Screw it, I'm Person of the Year, I earned it.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox bloody well said...

When I saw this I thought it was cool that in a sense they were acknowledging that bloggers were the people of the year. I think the movement itself has mad quite a bit of difference.

I had your livejournal linked but now that you are back up on blogger I'll get you linked back here.

18 December, 2006 23:28  
Blogger Crazy Politico bloody well said...

I always loved the logic of sick call. When I was stationed at SURFPAC my office was at 32nd St, where there was a very nice clinic. But HQ was on Coronado, which meant that I had to drive the bridge to get to sick call. Loads of fun.

19 December, 2006 21:24  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Yesterday they were going to put me SIQ again, but that just meant I would have to spend half a day today getting checked out again just to confirm that I feel crappy.

So I'm medicating heavily and taking it easy. Hope I can kick it before Christmas.

22 December, 2006 09:04  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home