Monday, February 05, 2007

American Dreamz

("Dreamz with a 'Z'"!)

After living in it for seven months, Red and I are finally moving into our house. What I mean to say is that we've been living in it, but we started doing that a little over a week before the last deployment and all our stuff was eventually delivered two days before I left for six months. We couldn't move a lot of it in because it had been destroyed ($4000-$5000 worth of damage) and had to wait for it to be assessed, the rest was due to Red single-momming it with a newborn baby while I was away. End result, most of our stuff is either in boxes in the garage or unpacked and piled up on horizontal surfaces.

So once we got back from Minnesota for the holidays, we began trying to get the place straightened up, slowed by the packing up of Christmas ornaments. I finally got a bunch of plywood up in the attic space above the garage for a floor (it was just bare sheet rock and I couldn't put anything up there. Now I can put all kinds of junk up there and forget about it.

Then we bought a boat storage rack. I thought I'd just build one out of two-by-fours that I could attach my existing roof racks to. Brilliant, right? No! Red needed to have something that looks nice, so we shelled out for a Yakima Ground Control Unit online. It's not bad - frankly, the way my projects go, it would've probably cost just as much or more, with tools and time spent. But there's a difference in satisfaction level between building and assembling.

The directions on this thing threw me because it says unless your studs are 32 inches apart, you have to buy a Universal Mounting thing. Well, I was convinced after having done my work in the attic that my studs were less than 32 inches apart, so we stopped midway through assembly to price those ($32 each), but we couldn't figure out how many we'd need. So I told Red, "I can mount it to a couple of two-by-fours..." at which point she got upset and stormed in the house saying she didn't want it to look like a piece of crap.

It's a garage for cryin' out loud! I told her, look, I'll paint them, let me finish. So, I painted them, mounted them to the wall, and finished assembling the rack, at which point we discovered our stud were indeed 32 inches apart and that the rack sticks out too far to make enough room for more than one car anyway, which pretty much defeats the purpose of doing all that in the first place. I could've done it with some lumber or chains and rubber hose hanging from the ceiling. Maybe next time common sense will prevail.

Saturday, after Jack went to bed around 8:00, we started laying tile in the new sunroom. I also spent all day Sunday doing it as well, missing the entire first half of the Super Bowl and the only halftime show I've had any interest in for years (Prince is awesome!) It looks great, though, and gives me much more satisfaction and pleasure than watching the Bears blow it. (I'm a Vikings fan.)

I am extremely sore today, and have no idea when we'll be able to grout it what with underway days and INSURV and company in town for Jack's baptism on the ship, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

I'm sure there's something productive to do... better get to it.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

How in the heck did you manage to suffer so much damage in a move? Done by the shippers? The movers at the end? Can you acquire any monetary compensation for your losses?

BZ

07 February, 2007 11:02  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Well, I had drunken, duplicitous movers. They dropped my big ass TV, stole my cordless drill combo kit (and all my drill bits) and a bottle Percocet, among other things. The Navy compensated us for all the missing and busted items (though we claimed $5000 worth of damage), but there's no way to guarantee Atherton & Sons moving company of Connecticut won't take advantage of another military family.

These were the guys who picked up our things at the house in Rhode Island and then put it in a warehouse for a week (after promising us it would go directly to Florida, no warehouse). The owner's son dropped our TV while drunk, so I hear.

07 February, 2007 12:59  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

Lovely. Just lovely. Nothing like being a captive audience.

BZ

11 February, 2007 21:10  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

02 12 07

Hey Matthew:
Glad to see you are back and making familial adjustments. Yeah, settling in after a time is always tough. And getting ones house in order seems to always take more time than one would want;) hehehehehehe

Now here is a question for ya: I thought you were either Atheist or Agnostic. Yet Jack is getting baptised? I hope I am not confusing the facts, but I recall getting into ethical discussions with you and my perspective was influenced by Judeo Christians and yours was more Ayn Randian...Hmmm have you changed your mind about certain things? Oh wait, raising a child is a two parent job. Perhaps the question has already been anwered.

Glad to know you are well. Try taking a bath in epsom salts to ease your soreness;) heheheh

13 February, 2007 00:12  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

The problem with trying to get to know my family again is that I'm going to be turning right around and leaving them again for another six months. It's just not enough time to get everything taken care of that needs to get taken care of, what with the inspection and helo work-ups thrown in between.

As far as the baptism, you're right; it doesn't matter to me whether Jack is baptised or not. Since I place little value on the religiosity of it all, but like making my family happy and the added bonus of Navay ceremonies, I'm going along with it.

Red wanted to baptise him at her church, or just go to a random one here in Jacksonville. That would be completely meaningless. On the ship in the bell, that has some significance. He gets his name engraved inside the bell and becomes a little part of Navy history. True immortality comes from what we leave behind when we're gone - this just starts him in that direction.

13 February, 2007 06:56  
Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

This is why all moving should be done by bindle.

17 February, 2007 23:38  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home