Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hooray for Diversity

I was informed this week that DESRON had nominated me for the Federal Asian Pacific American Council (FAPAC) Military Meritorious Service Award. It was quite an honor, however I found out that I am not eligible due to my Irish/Scottish/Norweigian/Swedish heritage. Turns out OPNAV had me down as an Asian Pacific Islander.

January and February are the time of year when we celebrate everybudy's culture, it seems. Except mine, of course. Heck, I even watched the first part of the Ocsars tonight when Ellen Degeneres was pointing out how diverse the nominees are and ended with Steve Carrell - at which point everyone laughed. What? I don't get it.

Then I turned off the TV when I found out Al Gore had been nominated. A) Hollywood has no shame and B) I am really out of touch, aren't I? Maybe I'll take the month of March and just absorb enough pop culture and current events to get me through the deployment. Or perhaps I'll teach my son to walk and cuddle with my wife... hmm, I don't know...

But my point, and I do have one, is that it seems to me that there is irony in the fact that many forces, particularly in the entertainment media, have been pushing a predisposition toward inclusiveness upon you and me while simultaneously excluding any fair-skinned folk. Additionally, people are selected for inclusion based upon only their physical traits and not the quality of their character or level of skill or pick your own vastly more reasonable criteria.

Irksome, to be sure, but barely twitching the needle on the Vexometer. My problem lies in social interaction with people who aren't completely ambivalent and expect others to walk around on eggshells because they are __________ (fill in your favorite conversation crippling social construct). I was trying to get inspection preparations done this week and lost a bunch of people to and "African-American heritage program", so I couldn't get anything done. Annoyed, I referred to the program as "crap", wondering if anyone else had their priorities straight. The sailor that I was talking to later approached me and said I might want to be more careful, since there are people on my ship would cry racism at the drop of a hat.

I don't care what color your skin is, which chromosome your father gave you or which boat your ancestors sailed here on, folks. Be a productive person and achieve your goals. There's nothing diverse about diversity.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

Can we fill in the blank with a verb?

27 February, 2007 23:40  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

I dunno, you look kinda Asiatic to me.

BZ

05 March, 2007 14:34  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home