Saturday, February 24, 2007

Jitters

I always get those pre-game nerves. Fear of failure. Performance anxiety. Saturday before the big inspection, I think we're as ready as we're going to get.

Of course, it always seems like something comes up last minute. Something breaks and you have to borrow some parts from a buddy on another ship to make a critical piece of equipment work. Or maybe you have a fire. Not that any of that happened, of course.

Yeah, I've been having a great day. Usually the disasters don't start until the inspectors are on the ship.

I have duty today, which is good because I had to have the whole department here anyway, for the final push. Most ships preparing for INSURV have to work nights and weekends for at least a month to get things ready. I feel pretty confident in our level of preparedness since we've been working on this since 14 months ago (six months before I reported, MPA and I were already plotting our plan of attack). Are we going to knock it our of the park? I don't know, but I think I'll get through it and still be the Engineer in March.

I am currently covered in dirt and oil and who knows what else from climbing around in bilges the last two days and am looking forward to a long hot shower tonight. I have to keep walking around because on top of getting Engineering ready, I'm the Command Duty Officer and have to ensure the rest of the ship has its act together.

So I've essentially been walking around the ship all day pointing out what's wrong and making people fix it. It's good to be in charge, I guess.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

You should have two people who hate each other work together. Thoughout the course of a week, they will learn to accept each other's flaws and become best friends.

Then Disney will make a movie.

24 February, 2007 18:46  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home