Monday, June 18, 2007

A Culture of Fitness: The Final Word

I have a feeling regular readers know how I feel about this sort of thing:

Anonymous bloody well said...
I hate you so much. Just so much. This is the most self pitying, pathetic, inept piece of drivel that I have ever read. Do yourself a favor and end it all. Scratch that, do ME a favor and end it all.
Geez, hate is an awfully strong emotion to describe someone you don't know... or perhaps you do know me and you haven't got the sack to say it to my face. Go on, tack a name on that comment if you dare. I dislike Anonymous commenting. It smacks of cowardice; I allow it however, because I think it's occassionally justified, but more because it says more about the commenter than any response I might give.

I don't do favors. You don't like it, don't read it. I write about what vexes me. If you had half an ounce of courage, you'd back that comment up with your name. This is all me, this is what I think, I don't care if you don't like it.

EDIT: To be absolutely clear, I don't have problem with my command or its policies. I think that I have a very good command, with a very good CO, XO and CMC, but I have a gripe about this one thing, which largely involves personal preference and principle. I am very satisfied overall with my department head tour here. Being a department head, the right thing to do would probably be to step up and do something about it. However, my level of indifference and the short-term nature of it (we hope to get underway Monday) don't inspire me to try to change it. Picking my battles, I guess.

The bottom line on the command PT is that I like to PT, but:
1) I know how to PT by myself and I don't need somebody counting cadence to tell me what to do.

2) It removes all individuality from the process - we all PT at someone else's level of capability, not our own.

3) It removes motivation from from the individual - why PT yourself, unless you're already super fit and a total gym rat and would do it anyway? Net benefit = zero.

4) The people running it here are incapable of doing it well. Running in formation on a waterfornt full of Navy ships is nothing more than showing off. When you have a sloppy formation, no one sings cadence with you and you run about a quarter mile, you haven't got anything to flaunt.

5) The people running it are doing it for bullets on their evals and could give a crap about what anyone else wants. There are about five guys on the ship who wanted to this. The CO was indifferent and he, the XO and Command Master Chief don't always join in. I don't have a problem with that - I'd opt out if I could, too. These five guys have no problem taking adavantage of others to accomplish their goals, and that irks me to no end.

I don't care what anyone else thinks of that. With any luck I'll have my electrical plant up and running with no (or few) discrepancies and I'll be underway this time next week on my way to intercept drug smugglers from South America. And then I'm free to PT on my own.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gyrobo bloody well said...

All you're doing is feeding the troll.

And I don't use that word lightly; calling someone a troll is a big thing, in my book. But that isn't constructive criticism and downright trollish.

23 June, 2007 12:48  
Blogger Robosquirrel bloody well said...

Yeah, but in less than 300 posts, I've gotten exactly two trolls.

But you're right, feeding them only encourages them. That's why I lace my retorts with strychnine.

23 June, 2007 13:08  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home