Thursday, August 02, 2007

Alive and Well

And once again fighting the War on Drugs. You probably figured that out if you ever stop by here. Sorry for the long silence, but operational committments are keeping me rather occupied and the Internet by satellite is, as always, iffy.

I just got word today about the collapse of the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis yesterday. Happily, my family and friends are, as far as I know, fine. I never thought I ever be thankful that most of my family dislikes going to the city, even though they all live in and around it. The bridge is right outside the University of Minnesota campus and collapsed during rush hour - I used to drive it every day in college (when I owned a car). My daughter and I drove it a couple of times when I was home in March. It's a surreal thing, here; I'm just getting my head wrapped around it. I'm sorry for the families of the victims; so far there have been only four confirmed deaths and 79 injuries, but there are still 20-30 people missing.

I'm back in the EASTPAC and doing some exciting stuff. Once we've executed, and I'm sure it won't compromise OPSEC, I'll post a little about it. If I find it posted somewhere, there is a neat story out there of a couple of Jacksonville Starbucks stores collecting donations of coffee for my ship for her deployment. One of the baristas is the wife of one of our sailors and she was dismayed to hear that we were drinking Maxwell House, or worse.

Also, I'd like to plug my best friend Joel Hafvenstein's new book, "Opium Season: A Year on the Afghan Frontier". It's a riveting account of his time spent as an international development consultant in Afghanistan trying to help poppy farmers make an honest living. He's talking about going back, but I wish he wouldn't.

Mahndisa, I got your post, I'll try to make time to respond, but I haven't really been following the stock market, so I've got some catching up to do.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden bloody well said...

08 02 07

Hey RB:
Glad to know you AND your family are ok. Thanks for recommending that book by your buddy; it seems quite interesting! As to the stock market, I anxiously await your analysis; even if it will be another few months coming:) Take Care.

02 August, 2007 22:06  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home