Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Environmental Hysteria Channel

I am suffering from extreme boredom right now. I'm really in the mood to go see a movie, but looking at what's playing in theaters in nearby Waldorf, MD, and Fredricksburg, VA, I find that every single movie at the multiplexes looks like garbage. I saw an ad on the Intarwebs for a Jackie Chan movie called "The Myth", apparently released in China two years ago, but now available on DVD in the U.S. That, I'd like to see - I am a devoted fan of Jackie Chan. I even ate at his restaurant in Yokohama!

I'm loathe to turn on the idiot box right now, because (A) I know it will suck my brain out and I will watch it all night; I have a long drive to Jacksonville ahead of me tomorrow and I need some sleep and (B) watching Heroes on Monday really soured the whole cathode ray-brain sucking experience for me.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Heroes and it's still my current favorite TV show, but I was so... vexed by the initiation of NBC's Green Week during my program that I nearly turned it off. It was a short video of a few of the actors from the show planting a tree on Kirby Plaza, where the final showdown of Season 1 finale took place. I managed to suppress the urge to vomit and finish the show.

I originally thought it was just the Today show, what with the advertising blitz last week about Matt Lauer going to Greenland, Ann Curry trying to get to the South pole, and Al Roker in Ecuador (heh - go a little farther south and it's freezing in Peru!) I started watch Lauer's bit about the polar bears, but I got bored by all the platitudes and cliches and switched to the Brian Willams' interview of Mel Brooks.

Last night, they did the same thing with The Bionic Woman yesterday; all the shows this week have some kind of Environmental Hysteria subtext. Ugh.

I don't have a problem with putting issues of the day into the storyline of a TV show. if it makes sense and flows with the plot, go for it. I can handle it. But throwing it my face with "Green Week"? NBC has certainly drunk the Kool Aid and expects that their audience has too. What about those of us that like a little science to back up our speculation about the impending doom of the human race? Am I to believe that humans are causing global climate change or, indeed, that they can do anything at all reverse it just on Matt Lauer's say so.

The entertainment industry expects you to buy every bit of crap they push at you because they thing you'll do anything they want if they have a pretty face tell you to do it. It's the most condescending thing I've seen in recent memory.

EDIT - Oh by the way: Weather Channel Founder: Global Warming ‘Greatest Scam in History’

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert M. bloody well said...

That would be annoying. Highly annoying. Stupid move too; how many people will they lose by doing stupid stuff like that?

10 November, 2007 09:20  
Blogger Lone Pony bloody well said...

I was just reading that article this morning. I'm so sick of Gore!

11 November, 2007 08:24  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin bloody well said...

This "green" stuff is nothing more than propagandist mind-numbing pap from a select number of Trotskyists and Marxists whose mantra I've deciphered, and it goes like this: "never let facts, rationality, proportion, logic and common sense get in the way of a good fucked-up decision."

BZ

15 November, 2007 12:05  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home